Search the forum,

Discuss Combi boiler and hot water in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

GreenArmy

Just want some opinions from experienced and technically minded plumbers/boiler engineers.
Has anyone got a theory on hot water supply pipe sizing from a combi boiler? Most combis these days have 15mm coming from boiler and all bath taps are 22mm as well as old cylinder/tank fed hot water supplies to bath are/were 22mm. So do you think its time bath taps are supplied with 15mm threads for combi boilers as well as 22mm for other systems and should old 22mm pipe be replaced with 15mm pipe when upgrading an old system with a new combi? Or do you think i talking poo and it will make no difference?

I always decrease down to 15mm as far as possible when doing conversions, the 22mm becomes a restriction to flow rate otherwise,( have done this for customers when involved with other work, the difference is very noticable. The main point with taps is that if they are low pressure the customer should be advised(at their pleasure) to upgrade them. As long as the end result is the manufacturer's flow rate, then you have done your job proffessionally.

flow rate is determined by the boiler as it will only flow what it is designed to flow the difference is the pressure drops slightly when you flow 15mm into 22mm
not likely anyone will swallow the extra cost of removing old 22mm to run new 15mm especially as it normally runs under floor under bath etc
a good engineer should be looking at the intended use for boiler
combis are for flats 1-2 bed single or 2 person etc unless you get the larger ones
a familly needs a system or regular boiler imho

A combi is fine up 3-bed 1 bath low occupancy homes. When doing boiler replacements I always take customers through all options and if a three bed house, ask will they be adding an en-suite. Restriction is restriction, I have a number of times corrected pipe work/removed needless valves so that a customer can recieve there correct flow rate( this is when the custome has the required pressure and flow rate entering the boiler.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Combi boiler and hot water in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I recently had an eco tec plus 836 combi installed as part of an oil to gas conversion. One thing I can’t work out is why the bathroom sink hot water flow is 12-13L per minute with at 44c and even hotter. However the nearby bath freestanding tap is 8-9L per minute at this temp. Both taps...
Replies
Views
Hi I have a 22mm hot and cold water supply to new bath. The pipes finish with compression valves. I need a 500 mm tap connector hose to connect with half inch thread on the new bath tap. All the connectors at the main plumb merchants are 22mm x 3/4 inch. No one seems able to answer question...
Replies
Views
The Water Board have just replaced the main water supply to our property. We have a ground floor combi boiler. The central heating system for the whole house is working as normal. Hot water is working as normal on the ground floor. However, there is no hot water to the first floor bathroom. This...
Replies
Views
I live in an apartment block where generally hot water is supplied from the communal hot water cylinder and cold water to bathrooms is supplied from cold water tanks in the loft. It is a vented system. However, in a basement flat and a ground floor flat cold water supply to bathrooms is...
Replies
Views
I live in an apartment with a cold water tank. The cold water tank feeds the cold water tap in the sink and the bath. Recently, I refurbished my bathroom, and according to the plumber who fitted the new taps, high-pressure taps were fitted. Consequently, the water from taps is of a low volume...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock