Search the forum,

Discuss Column radiators cost to heat house in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

B

Brownebear

We have recently installed column radiators (stelrad regal) pretty much throughout our house during renovation/extension work. We choose steel radiators for the classic design. I knew they would contain more water than traditional radiators but that information isn’t really advertised and I just focussed on btu’s and made sure I oversized them. Now we are still without flooring downstairs, so heat loss will improve once complete.
My concern is the cost of running the system with the upcoming price rises.
My boiler is a worcester green star 24ri with an unvented cylinder. House is now a large 4 bedroom house and on checking meter reading we appear to be using 4 cubic feet per day during January.
Due to amount of water in the system it now takes longer to heat the house and therefore costs more. Any advice on heating the house as efficiently as possible? Or am I screwed?

More insulation and better windows

Only way to change your heat loss eg use less gas to heat your home

Your boiler will still only use 24kw so changing from normal to column rads won’t add too much cost on start up but they will hold there heat longer so plus and a minus so even themselves out

In the process of new double glazing to front, bare floorboards downstairs at Min on a suspended timber floor. Will be overboarded and then lvt. If I'm going to make any changes, would probably be best to do so now.
My concern is Surely with the water volume being a lot greater it will cost me more to heat said water up and to also keep the water at temperature. Or am I wrong?
Once all building work is complete, would I be better having heating on for only when in and having to heat all the water up for desired result.Or leave it set lower and running more frequently so water doesn't completely cool down?

Tripple glazing shop around for high u valves

Insulation under the floor boards eg rockwool they have a good guide how to do it etc

As for water heat up times you won’t be able to tell might take 5 mins extra to heat up but will stay warm for 5 mins more after as an example

Reply to Column radiators cost to heat house in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Oil boiler (now~15 years old) unvented system with 17 radiators. We moved in 5 years ago and I had to keep bleeding the same radiator. The bleed gas could be burned with a blue flame and the water was acidic (pH 5.5). Since then system has been chemically flushed (it was not too bad) and the...
Replies
Views
O
Hi All, We renovated our house in 2019 and put in completely new plumbing system and piping including new boiler and 9 radiators. Off those, there is one radiator in the living room which does not heat up at all. I have tried balancing myself and also had a professional come in to balance it...
Replies
Views
I am after an advice, please. We have a vertical radiator from Reina, Evie, that heats up only 2nd column fully, 1,3 and 4 are lukewarm. I borrowed a thermal camera and attached is the thermal image. System is balanced, there doesn't seem to be air coming out of the bleeding valve and was...
Replies
Views
Hi, Sorry if question already answered in previous posts, but I can't find a solution to the below: We recently moved house to a new home that has previously been extended. In one of the bedrooms that has been extended there are 2 radiators, one which looks like it was fitted when the...
Replies
Views
M
Hello, We’ve recently moved into a fairly old, fairly big detached house (i.e. fairly draughty, but not too bad by any means) with a fairly new well maintained Worcester combi boiler. We weren’t convinced the heating was working right and then got hit with a £610 energy bill for the first 6...
Replies
Views
MartinPod81
M
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock