Search the forum,

Discuss Column radiator flow/return in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nico

Gas Engineer
Brother in law has bought a column radiator which has been marked with the inlet and outlet but his flow pipe is on wrong side and brackets are fixed to back so cannot flip it. It was delivered with the blank plug fitted already at the top but the vent loose.

Can I just swap these over and the rad should heat as should or is there and internal configuration that may cause restriction?

Cheers

Has to go the right way round . Flow to flow . Return to return

I was hoping if i swapped the vent and blank to opposite side it would still fill properly and circulate

It’s a concrete floor sub floor with brand new wood flooring put down. Decided he wanted radiator after fitting the floor which has left me stuck a bit

Are the pipes accessible before they go into the bathroom , ie off a carpeted landing / hall ?

No this radiator is fitted at the front door/Landing of the house so the only access is lifting new floor and breaking away sub floor and can see him doing all of this for the sake of a radiator

He will just need to swap the column rad to one of the ones that rest on the wall bracket rather than having fixing points on back so the rad can then be flipped to suit flow

Surely the pipes don't come up exact centers anyway? Pitch and off the wall distance?

If not exactly bang on its doing to look a dogs dinner anyway so you might aswell cross them above the floor.

There is about 50mm of a difference in centres as it is a small DPC being replaced and the wall space is small this is why he has opted for a tall rad. The new radiator will be tighter into the wall so I will need to do a couple of tight offsets or use 45’s to make up the distance in the travel but I don’t think I could bring myself to crossing the pipework above the floor tbh

can you not just put vent and plug on bottom of rad and turn rad upside down?

I never thought of that but would still be unsure if you could do this as I thought the only reason the inlet was marked was because the blank had already been fitted to the top of the inlet side and so would vent properly once the vent was fitted to the opposite side. So I thought you could swap the vent and the blank so you would then still be able to vent the radiator properly?

It is nothing to do with vent and blanks. There is a restriction inside so that the water does not just pass straight across the bottom but is forced up to the top and then cascades down so the whole rad gets hot.

It is nothing to do with vent and blanks. There is a restriction inside so that the water does not just pass straight across the bottom but is forced up to the top and then cascades down so the whole rad gets hot.
Ah right ok see I was wondering if there was some sort of configuration or not. Thanks for clearing that up

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Column radiator flow/return in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock