Search the forum,

Discuss College, apprenticeship or what? in the Plumbing Courses area at PlumbersForums.net

21, Looking at getting into plumbing as a career. What’s the best route?

I was working full time, but I am currently furloughed. I was looking at doing one of these fast track courses, having to pay nearly £8k. After reading on a few forums that these aren’t worth it, you don’t get the proper qualifications etc I decided to look into the college route.

Iv enrolled on the Level 2 course at my local college, it’s a year long, and I have been told il be at college 2 days a week. I did plan on working at my current job whilst doing the course, but reading posts on this forum Iv realised that a lot of people are already working as plumbers whilst doing the college course.

Is this something I would have to do, or can I continue at my current job, unrelated to plumbing? Iv considered an apprenticeship but I cannot afford the drop in wage. I’m not even sure what’s the best option as it’s very difficult to speak to anyone at the college given current circumstances.

The problem with college is that it's of very little benefit to you other than to get the bits of paper. Actual working on site in the industry is priceless.

The problem with college is that it's of very little benefit to you other than to get the bits of paper. Actual working on site in the industry is priceless.
Having looked at a lot of adverts for plumbers, a lot of them require you to be Level 2 qualified etc which is why I want to get the qualifications.

Having looked at a lot of adverts for plumbers, a lot of them require you to be Level 2 qualified etc which is why I want to get the qualifications.

Adverts for plumbers will also want experienced with level 2 qualifications.

Chicken and egg situation.

You could pay your 8k and get the qualification but then nobody will want you because you will have no experience.

Maybe see if somebody will take you on as a plumbers mate for 3 days a week whilst doing the other 2 at college.

You have to look at a prospective employers position. In 12 months time they can employ you at minimum wage or an apprentice on apprentice wages.

Just trying to play devils advocate.

Use the search function on the forum, many a post covering the same topic.

Good luck.

21, Looking at getting into plumbing as a career. What’s the best route?

I was working full time, but I am currently furloughed. I was looking at doing one of these fast track courses, having to pay nearly £8k. After reading on a few forums that these aren’t worth it, you don’t get the proper qualifications etc I decided to look into the college route.

Iv enrolled on the Level 2 course at my local college, it’s a year long, and I have been told il be at college 2 days a week. I did plan on working at my current job whilst doing the course, but reading posts on this forum Iv realised that a lot of people are already working as plumbers whilst doing the college course.

Is this something I would have to do, or can I continue at my current job, unrelated to plumbing? Iv considered an apprenticeship but I cannot afford the drop in wage. I’m not even sure what’s the best option as it’s very difficult to speak to anyone at the college given current circumstances.

Hi Brenns, sorry to bring an old post up but how did you get on? I’m looking to enrol onto college whilst working also

Reply to College, apprenticeship or what? in the Plumbing Courses area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock