Search the forum,

Discuss Coldwater Accumulators - 1 not filling in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi,

First post, just joined in the hope someone may kindly be able to help with the problem as per the thread title. I will explain the setup:

On non mains water into holding tank then fed into house, into 2 accumulators via a Mainsboost charger. Been working fine for many years. During recent cold weather the external pipes/tank froze. This happens quite often due to being in an area which has very cold weather. Once defrosted everything normally kicks back in working. This time we received an error on the mainsboost charger saying it had failed. It had indeed failed and has now been replaced. So onto the issue, following the charger replacement, only 1 of the accumulators is filling. Plumber has checked everything he thinks and ST (Stuart Turner) tech help have been very helpful but to no avail.

Having tested the diaphragm in the vessel which is not filling, there is no water coming out of the schrader valve so the presumption is it is fine. All inlet valves are open to the vessel.

There has been lots of mentions of the vessel pressure. Today the readings for the 2 vessels were 0.95 bar for the one filling and 1.2 for the other one. The suggestion was to set the pressure to be the same for both which we have done. The mains pressure reading is 1.5 bar, so am I right in thinking the differential will mean the pressure on the vessels needs to be lower?

On setting the pressure on both vessels to 0.95bar and restarting the charger the same thing happened, only 1 vessel filled. If we shut off the inlet valve to the vessel which is filling and only leave the other one open, still no water goes into it. The charge continues running until the auto 180min cutout kicks in.

I really am hoping someone can help. Is there anything else, obvious or not, which is likely? We are in a very rural area and finding plumbers who can help is proving difficult. ST do not have any technicians anywhere in the county.

Many thanks in advance.

Actually just found an old photo of the setup, the cold mains and filters were in situ prior to the installation of the vessels and charger.

Attachments

• TWSMainsboost.jpg
    TWSMainsboost.jpg
    216.1 KB · Views: 23
Have you fully emptied the accumulators and reset the pressure in them ?

Have you fully emptied the accumulators and reset the pressure in them ?
Turned of the mains feed and the charger then fully emptied the accumulators. Measured the pressure and then changed the pressure so both vessels now 0.95 bar. The same happened only one filled. Not sure if relevant but it is the vessel closest to the charger which is not filling. Thank you for the reply.

Did you leave the drain open when you emptied all the air out and re set the pressures ?

The accumulators need to be empty of water eg fully drained for you to be able to check / set the pre charge / pressure in them

Turn the mains off

turn the valve off from the outlet of the acc

so there should be a drain on the pipework out of the accumulators this needs to be opened then you need to wait till the water stops

then press the shrader valve on one of the accumulators you will hear it hiss and water will come out of the drain wait until this stops then do the other one

water should come out of both

then you can set the pre charge pressure, should be the same as your standing pressure eg your water mains

The accumulators need to be empty of water eg fully drained for you to be able to check / set the pre charge / pressure in them

Turn the mains off

turn the valve off from the outlet of the acc

so there should be a drain on the pipework out of the accumulators this needs to be opened then you need to wait till the water stops

then press the shrader valve on one of the accumulators you will hear it hiss and water will come out of the drain wait until this stops then do the other one

water should come out of both

then you can set the pre charge pressure, should be the same as your standing pressure eg your water mains
Thank you again. Did everything you mentioned in your post, however I do not believe there is a drain from the accumulators. We only have the open/closed valves on each of them. The Schrader valves hiss air, this is where I checked the pressure with a digital gauge.

So as you say the pre charge pressure should be the same as my mains (even though not on mains water) so in this case 1.5bar? So if I empty the one vessel with water in again up the pressure on both then try again?

Correct as this will give you a slight boost in pressure at your taps hence the chargers

Correct as this will give you a slight boost in pressure at your taps hence the chargers
The system is great and this is the first problem we have ever had. Quite happily runs a house with a couple of showers, dishwasher, washing machine etc all at the same time with good pressure on all outlets at the same time.

It is annoying the only thing which has been changed is the charger and suddenly the problem has happened.

So I will empty and reset the pressure amounts and try again. Probably in the morning now as takes a while to empty even one. Thank you keep the info coming, it is very much appreciated. I will report back with how I get on.

Last edited:
If you set the pre charge pressure to the mains pressure of 1.5bar and pump the accumulator to 2.8 bar then the (each) accumulator will accumulate 154 litres of water and will release the same in falling from 2.8 bar to 1.5 bar.
IF it requires 3 hours to charge each accumulator the the charging pump is only pumping 0.85 LPM, something certainly not right there.

If you set the pre charge pressure to the mains pressure of 1.5bar and pump the accumulator to 2.8 bar then the (each) accumulator will accumulate 154 litres of water and will release the same in falling from 2.8 bar to 1.5 bar.
IF it requires 3 hours to charge each accumulator the the charging pump is only pumping 0.85 LPM, something certainly not right there

It is not normally 3 hours, before the charger change both will fill from empty in about 15 mins. The 3 hours I mentioned was how long the charger will run before auto switching off. We only let it run after the charger had been replaced to see if both accumulators would fill, we contacted the plumber (who had left once the charger had been replaced) when it was quickly clear only one vessel was filling, they normally both fill at the same time. He said to leave it for longer to see if the other one filled, hence leaving it until the charger hit its maximum run time before shutting off.

15 minutes seems OK, = ~ 10/15 LPM. You will get a accumulated vol of 220 litres with pre charge pressure of 0.95 bar and the same released in falling to 0.95 bar but only 121 litres to 1.5 bar, still not bad.
When you say one accumulator is not filling do you mean the pressure is not rising to 2.7/2.9 bar?, is it rising at all?.

15 minutes seems OK, = ~ 10/15 LPM. You will get a accumulated vol of 220 litres with pre charge pressure of 0.95 bar and the same released in falling to 0.95 bar but only 121 litres to 1.5 bar, still not bad.
When you say one accumulator is not filling do you mean the pressure is not rising to 2.7/2.9 bar?, is it rising at all?.
No water is going into one of the accumulators at all, well as much as I can ascertain it isn't, it remains hollow sounding when empty compared to the other one which doesn't, it is the way we have always known they are full. TWS (now Stuart Turner) always said it is the best way to know they are full!

Last edited:
Actually you said it only takes 15 mins to fill both together so the charger is pumping ~ 25 LPM.

If no pressure gauge anywhere its quite easy to see if its charging or not, just check the pressure at the air end (assuming you have a pressure gauge) it will be exactly the same as the water side.

Actually you said it only takes 15 mins to fill both together so the charger is pumping ~ 25 LPM.

If no pressure gauge anywhere its quite easy to see if its charging or not, just check the pressure at the air end (assuming you have a pressure gauge) it will be exactly the same as the water side.
We see the pressure on the charger which normally gets to just below 3 bar, the mains pressure gauge also increases accordingly to normally the same, is that what you mean?

Yes, this pressure should (normally) reflect the pressure in the accumulator(s), it will only read the correct pressure for the "bad" one if the other is isolated from it, the only other reason I can think of is that the diaphragm is stuck or jammed up against the water end but the pump should then cut out almost immediately on its pressure switch, taking the air end pressure will reveal a lot.

Yes, this pressure should (normally) reflect the pressure in the accumulator(s), it will only read the correct pressure for the "bad" one if the other is isolated from it, the only other reason I can think of is that the diaphragm is stuck or jammed up against the water end but the pump should then cut out almost immediately on its pressure switch, taking the air end pressure will reveal a lot.
Yes, even with my very limited knowledge, the fact the pump does not cut out has confused me. When I closed the inlet valve for the one which is filling to try to "force" the other one to fill and it didn't I expected the charger to shut off, it obviously didn't.

I am not sure what you mean by taking the air end pressure. My plan is to change the pressure on each vessel again in the morning after emptying and try again. I will update the thread once done, nothing more to do tonight other than sleep!

Thanks for everyone's help.

It’s trying to charge your whole system to 3.5 bar or what ever the charge pump is set too hence it never got there and erred out

What I mean by checking the air end is simply taking the air pressure which you read anyway when changing air pressures, if its still at the pre charge pressure then obviously no water in the other end.

Morning. Thanks again for the posts yesterday.

This morning husband drained down the system. The vessel pressure were both 1.0 bar. We only have a small bike pump so struggled to get the pressure up on either vessel, in fact could not increase it at all.

Made sure there was no air in the system (air coming out of taps) and switched everything back on. Only one vessel filled again exactly as before.

Drained the system again once switched back on ensured the isolation valve to the vessel which was filling was closed. Once again the other vessel did not fill.

Final time have drained the system again and am now currently seeing if both vessels fill, I am not expecting any difference with only one filling.

If the vessel pressure is wrong (should be higher (or lower) than the current 1.0bar) why would one tank fill with that pressure setting?

Once again sorry if stupid questions which may have been answered before.

Thanks in advance for any further assistance.

Reply to Coldwater Accumulators - 1 not filling in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Good afternoon, I am experiencing a pressure issue with my heating system and was hoping to receive additional insight as to what the problem could be. We have a biomass boiler and stratification tank set up and recently had an issue with boiler pressure dropping off when the system was cold...
Replies
Views
In our sealed Megalo system, when hot water tap is used (say in bathroom shower) the megaflo is taking in some fresh water, I guess to compensate for the water used. The incoming water go via a pressure relief valve [most likely its this one: Heatrae Sadia 8 Bar Pressure Relief Valve -...
Replies
Views
I have been facing central heating low pressure on unvented hot water RM Cylinders but can't see any leak on the PRV, expansion vessels and plasterboard celling. I have got unvented pressurized RM Cylinders hot water system with 27KW Worchester gas boiler with expansion vessels . When...
Replies
Views
losing pressure
L
Hi, I have an unvented water heater which for some reason every year causes me issues. At the end of 2023 I noticed that the pressure valve gauge was going up when the water tank was switched on. My local plumber came and re-pressured the expansion vessel as it was flat, afterwards we tested...
Replies
Views
Hi there, I’m hoping someone can help me with this problem please. I’ve searched for similar posts but not found anything helpful! My mum’s house has a pump which pulses on and off every time a tap is opened. Even filling the bath (pressure is strong) the pump won’t come on and stay on but...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock