Search the forum,

Discuss Coldwater Accumulators - 1 not filling in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

You certainly can as the pressure will start to rise immediately water starts to enter the accumulator, it will start at your precharge pressure and then rise eventually to its final pressure...exactly the same as the water side pressure.

You certainly can as the pressure will start to rise immediately water starts to enter the accumulator, it will start at your precharge pressure and then rise eventually to its final pressure...exactly the same as the water side pressure.
Thank you and apologies for not knowing I could check the pressure whilst filling.

A slight different outcome currently, valves open in both vessels, after approx 15 mins, neither vessel seem to be filling at all or at their normal speed. Husband closed the valve to the vessel which has not been filling, immediately the other started filling. It is not full but current pressure is 1.75 bar. I have also checked the pressure on the other one which is also showing the same.

Is it worth draining down again and starting again, leaving both the vessels to fill for longer ( a bit annoyed husband closed the valve to the one which has not been filling!).

I wouldn't drain down again, you have pre pressurised to 1 bar which is perfectly acceptable and they are both filling so see what the final pressures are.
I am just wondering if that charging pump is variable speed controlled and some problem with this, have you any info on it?.

Only one vessel is filling exactly as before.

An update, charger still running, one vessel filling, the other isn't. Pressure on both vessels 2.1 bar.

The charger has a number of settings, but speed control is not one of them. I have all the documentation for the charger so can provide answers if need be.

Another question from me, if the pressure increasing on both vessels but water only going into 1, could I be looking at something as simple as a failure of the inlet valve? Even when open is actually closed?

Thanks as always.
I wouldn't drain down again, you have pre pressurised to 1 bar which is perfectly acceptable and they are both filling so see what the final pressures are.
I am just wondering if that charging pump is variable speed controlled and some problem with this, have you any info on it?.

Only one vessel is filling exactly as before.

An update, charger still running, one vessel filling, the other isn't. Pressure on both vessels 2.1 bar.

Another question from me, if the pressure increasing on both vessels but water only going into 1, could I be looking at something as simple as a failure of the inlet valve? Even when open is actually closed?

If the vessels start out at the same pressure empty, then during the fill cycle they both increase pressure by the same amount, that would suggest they are both filling (with something) equally.
When you say 1 vessel is not filling, how are you determining that?

If the vessels start out at the same pressure empty, then during the fill cycle they both increase pressure by the same amount, that would suggest they are both filling equally.
When you say 1 vessel is not filling, how are you determining that?
Highly technically (!), by tapping the side of the vessels, empty is hollow sounding, full does not sound hollow. An empty vessel also can be very gently rocked (we never do this!) a full one is much heavier and cannot be rocked if tried.

Prior to the charger change, when both vessels were full, the charger would switch off, from empty this would normally take no more than 20 mins. Currently the charger will run for a full 180mins before the auto cutout kicks in. I am presuming this is happening to try an fill the vessel which is not filling?

Ok, another update which dare I say it a bit more positive, the first vessel now does seem to have some water in it (I think), the pressure readings are 2.3bar on both vessels - the same pressure showing on the charger.

Shall I let the charger just run, could it just be taking longer to fill them both than normal because they have both not been full for a while?

Thank you again for everyone's help.

Take it that you are taking pressures from both schrader valves, to increase the pressure from 2.3 to 2.8 bar will only require 72 litres, say 3 minutes, is the charging pump supplying the system normally as well, if so if the demand is close to the pump flow capacity of ~ 25 LPM then it could take hours to fill the accumulators.

Yes both valves. So the hours to fill, because they were both very empty? Normally the charger does not run for any more than 20 mins when filling them both from empty. Apologies probably the same questions, I just trying to get my head around what may be happening having only changed one part of the system (the charger).

At least if both vessels are now filling it is more positive. I am hoping they will fill completly, the charger switch off and then as we use water in the house the charger kicks in as and when needed which is how it has always worked. The charger would only kick in if the demand was high.

This is the charger.

Last edited:
The charger kicking in depends on its cut in pressure so if its set slightly lower than the (dynamic) mains pressure then will only cut in when both accumulators are empty. To fill both accumulators from 1.0 bar (empty) to 2.8 bar requires 426 litres of water so if the pump output is 25 LPM then 17 minutes to re charge, Still doesn't explain though why the pump was running continuously, the only logical explanation is that the demand was > 25 LPM or whatever the pump is rated at.
Have you any idea of the pump output or a link to it, for interest.

The charger kicking in depends on its cut in pressure so if its set slightly lower than the (dynamic) mains pressure then will only cut in when both accumulators are empty. To fill both accumulators from 1.0 bar (empty) to 2.8 bar requires 426 litres of water so if the pump output is 25 LPM then 17 minutes to re charge, Still doesn't explain though why the pump was running continuously, the only logical explanation is that the demand was > 25 LPM or whatever the pump is rated at.
Have you any idea of the pump output or a link to it, for interest.
I have put a link to the charger on a previous post, I have the documentation here for it too, I am looking for the output but not finding anything currently. There are a number of settings for the charger which I can detail here and what they are set to?

Your calculations (thank you) seem to equate to the time the vessels used to take to fill prior to the charger change. So although further forward something still is not right. I have just checked again, everything still at 2.3bar, the vessels appear to be full (as far as I can tell) but the charger still running.

The settings which can be changed on the charger are with current settings:

Set Point - 3 bar
Diff Pressure - 0.5 bar
Low Pressure - 0.2 bar
High Pressure - 4.5 bar
Pump Run Timer - 180 mins

The remainder are to do with the alarm settings

A set point of 3 bar with a diff. press of 0.5 bar would indicate to me that it cuts in at 2.5 bar and cuts out at 3 bar. I don't know what the low and high pressure settings refer to.
The pump data as you said gives no flow rate but the power consumption of 398 watts should by my calc give 20/25 LPM.

I think you have a problem with the new charger, could be something as simple as a bit of dirt under a non return vave, I don't think there was/is anything wrong on the accumulator side, I would get back on to your plumber & stuart turner. In the mean time you might consider reducing the setpoint to say 2.1/2.2 bar and then the pump shouldn't run continuously even though it is rated as such.

Only other thing I can think of is that it is pumping back through the mains due to a faulty NR valve (if) installed somewhere in your system (not the pump).

A set point of 3 bar with a diff. press of 0.5 bar would indicate to me that it cuts in at 2.5 bar and cuts out at 3 bar. I don't know what the low and high pressure settings refer to.
The pump data as you said gives no flow rate but the power consumption of 398 watts should by my calc give 20/25 LPM.

I think you have a problem with the new charger, could be something as simple as a bit of dirt under a non return vave, I don't think there was/is anything wrong on the accumulator side, I would get back on to your plumber & stuart turner. In the mean time you might consider reducing the setpoint to say 2.1/2.2 bar and then the pump shouldn't run continuously even though it is rated as such.
The low and high pressure settings are the failsafe settings.

I have switched the charge off with the pressure at 2.3 bar as nothing more seemed to be happening, there is no doubt now both vessels are full.

Without sounding like I know too much, which I certainly do not, when I typed out the settings of the charger I wondered if I need to lower the 3 bar setting, you have kindly already answered. I will lower the setting now as you say which will at least allow me to use the system as planned and leave the charger switched on without constantly running.

I will speak to everyone tomorrow as you said and will come back and update, in the meantime thank you to you and everyone else for all your help, it is very much appreciated.

Very good, just to say it "cant" be any problem with a NRV in the mains as that is what is being boosted! so possibly NRV in the pump itself.
Thanks John. I will get the plumber to check all the valves again, plus the charger as well as speak to ST.

I have changed the setting on the charger to 2.2 and thankfully the charger has stopped. Having also used some water since, when the pressure drop is higher than the 0.5 differential setting the charger automatically comes on.

Once again many thanks for all your help.

Reply to Coldwater Accumulators - 1 not filling in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Good afternoon, I am experiencing a pressure issue with my heating system and was hoping to receive additional insight as to what the problem could be. We have a biomass boiler and stratification tank set up and recently had an issue with boiler pressure dropping off when the system was cold...
Replies
Views
In our sealed Megalo system, when hot water tap is used (say in bathroom shower) the megaflo is taking in some fresh water, I guess to compensate for the water used. The incoming water go via a pressure relief valve [most likely its this one: Heatrae Sadia 8 Bar Pressure Relief Valve -...
Replies
Views
I have been facing central heating low pressure on unvented hot water RM Cylinders but can't see any leak on the PRV, expansion vessels and plasterboard celling. I have got unvented pressurized RM Cylinders hot water system with 27KW Worchester gas boiler with expansion vessels . When...
Replies
Views
losing pressure
L
Hi, I have an unvented water heater which for some reason every year causes me issues. At the end of 2023 I noticed that the pressure valve gauge was going up when the water tank was switched on. My local plumber came and re-pressured the expansion vessel as it was flat, afterwards we tested...
Replies
Views
Hi there, I’m hoping someone can help me with this problem please. I’ve searched for similar posts but not found anything helpful! My mum’s house has a pump which pulses on and off every time a tap is opened. Even filling the bath (pressure is strong) the pump won’t come on and stay on but...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock