Search the forum,

Discuss Cold water tank noise in purpose built flat in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Hello.
I have lived in a top floor flat (block of 4 flats on top of a shop in London) for 2 years and the noise from the filling of the water tank on the flat roof is driving me slowly insane. It’s really loud and radiates through the flat at night like slow running water in an echo chamber!
The flat is leasehold and has a flat roof. I know there is a water tank on the roof as we’re charged for it’s legionnaires filtering etc each year.
Is this normal and just an unfortunate drawback of being on the top flaw or is it a faulty filling system (ballcock)? It seems so bloody loud but admittedly I have tolerated it for 2 years.
Thoughts ?
I’m also a little confused how to do anything about it (provided something can be done) because it’s shared between the flats. Would I contact the head lease holder, or can I just get someone out ?
Would appreciate your thoughts
Chloe

Needs "Eyes on" to be sure what the problem may be and would contact the leaseholder first before doing anything about yourself.

The flat is leasehold and has a flat roof. I know there is a water tank on the roof as we’re charged for it’s legionnaires filtering etc each year.

Don't bypass the correct procedures and get your own guy in because the tank is not your property you'll probably end up beeing accused of damaging it. As an individual leaseholder you'll have to get in contact with the freehold owner or the building's management company and ask them to get someone in to fix the problem.

If asking nicely a couple of times isn't effective then seek advice from your solicitor or the Citizens Advice Bureau. Property leases normally come with an explicit or implied covenant of 'quiet enjoyment', which should give you legal grounds for a remedy.

Hello Chloe

I expect the noise and vibration from this communal roof tank is directly due to it emptying and refilling esp. at peak useage
times. it may well be that your fellow leaseholders do not share your discomfort. There is little you are able to do directly.
I would make friends with your fellow leaseholders and see what comes up...they might be sympathetic. From a plumbing angle ..there is plenty to do and myself and others can advise you. However you are not in a position to insist because you have no freehold and cannot carry out the work needed without the due protocols .
Examine your leasehold docs and get back to us... Rob Foster
aka centralheatking

Reply to Cold water tank noise in purpose built flat in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock