Search the forum,

Discuss Cold water loft tank overflow problem in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Evening all,
Need advice....I have recently purchased a house which needed lots of work doing. It has no mains gas so everything is electric, radiators and immersion for domestic hot water. The main stopcock has been off for about a month whilst refitting the kitchen and bathroom. A week or so again turned it back on and within a day or two I noticed that the cold water loft tank was overflowing. I replaced the entire ball valve unit and observed it working fine, closing the inlet valve when water was about 2 inches below the overflow pipe. Within a day or two noticed the overflow dripping again. Upon checking appears that the ball valve is working fine with no leaks or dripping whatsoever. The only other potential source of water is via the immersion tank expansion pipe which enters the cold water storage tank at the top, although upon checking this it appears dry. The immersion tank has not been changed or altered in any way, nor has the cold water tank (with the exception of the ball valve unit). The immersion heater element thermostat is set at 60 degrees and the water hot temperature when checked is coming out of the tap at about 56 degrees. Any idea what could be causing the problem?

You could be getting mains water passing through a mixer tap/shower. This will backfill through your cylinder and into the tank.

Hi Craig & Riley,

Thanks for your replies. I've got to be honest I didn't think that was even possible...that said I am absolutely no expert. I'll be getting a plumber in to check the system out asap! Out of interest are you suggesting that it is back filling via the cold water tank outlet pipe or via the expansion pipe?

Hi Craig & Riley,

Thanks for your replies. I've got to be honest I didn't think that was even possible...that said I am absolutely no expert. I'll be getting a plumber in to check the system out asap! Out of interest are you suggesting that it is back filling via the cold water tank outlet pipe or via the expansion pipe?
It can back fill through the outlet.

Reply to Cold water loft tank overflow problem in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is a 23.8Kw appliance with all six burners and oven on max. This was installed some 10 years ago and has passed all subsequent Gas Safety inspections as...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock