Search the forum,

Discuss Cold Water Dripping From Tundish in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Rystar00

Hi guys,

I made a thread about this a few weeks ago. I have started a new one as the issue is slightly different and I'm not sure people would read it if I continued it on!

I have cold water dripping from the Tundish. I have a Fabdec Excelsior WDI unvented cylinder with an internal expansion gap. Reading the instructions it seems that the internal bubble is created by pumping the schraeder valve on the combination valve (please see the pics).

I was advised on this forum to ask some G3 qualified plumbers to take a look at the cause of the problem so I asked but each of them have said different things. They also seem to be ignoring the instructions and treating it like a megaflo (which automatically recharges the bubble when the cylinder is drained and refilled) when the instructions clearly state that the bubble needs to be manually pumped.

I havent got got any confidence in the plumbers now and would really appreciate some advice before they charge me to do the work and not fix the problem. They obviously need to make a living, and I'm happy to pay for the work, but I don't want to be in the awkward situation of them not fixing the problem but still wanting payment for what they've done!

What do you think could be causing the cold water to drip please? And would you have any confidence in someone that seems to ignore the manufacturers instructions?

help!!

Thanks very much for your time.

Ryan

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 61
Sorry, we can't give advice of that extent about unvented units. It really is a job for a G3 qualified person.
The guys you had out should have been able to sort that really easily. There is nothing about that unit that a G3 plumber wouldn't be able to sort.
Why did you not show the plumbers where they are going wrong?

mate seriously...you cannot attempt to do anything with this unless you are qualified to do so - please just get a qualified guy out - it will be an easy fix

If the plumbers you got out treated that unvented like an air bubble Megaflow type, then I would seriously question if they are G3 plumbers, or even just plumbers

What's with the hose pipe on the cold inlet ?

You tried to drain the cylinder ??

Also why is the cold water off to the system

Last edited:
Thanks very much for your replies lads.

The hose pipe was there when I drained the cylinder to have a go at fixing it myself following the instructions (I could hear the water bubbling as I was pumping but the tank wouldn't hold the charge).

The plumber who just came out left the cold like that.

Is there a way to check whether the person is G3 qualified please? Both people said they were but seemed to have no idea about the foot pump charging. I tried to point out the instructions but they thought I was a *ick for telling them "about their job" and fobbed me off saying that it should be treated the same as a megaflo. One even laughed at me!

The hose pipe was there when I drained the cylinder to have a go at fixing it myself following the instructions (I could hear the water bubbling as I was pumping but the tank wouldn't hold the charge).

Is there a way to check whether the person is G3 qualified please? Both people said they were but seemed to have no idea about the foot pump charging. I tried to point out the instructions but they thought I was a *ick for telling them "about their job" and fobbed me off saying that it should be treated the same as a megaflo. One even laughed at me!

They will have a card / look on gas safe (unvented cylinders)

Would have been interesting if you had have asked them where an air bubble is in that unit.
Try another plumber.
A G3 plumber should be able to produce a G3 card normally. Sometimes it is part of Gas qualifications. Ask on the phone to any plumber to bring their G3 card.

You can check if someone is G3 on gas safes database.
You do still treat these as a megaflo, as without the auto air replenishment, it's still a bubble top.
Don't do this yourself, as there is more to a passing prv, than regenerating the air gap.

Simple solution would be to call the manufacturers and ask them for an approved company to come & carry this out for you. They may also be able to confirm if they regard the recharging of the units air bubble as a "users activity" and not that required under Part G of Building Regs to be completed by a competent person.

I am sure you told us why you can't get the installers back to sort it out & remove the incorrectly installed valve on the cold feed.

I know it is frustrating at the lack of correctly trained people out there this is something we face day in day out, it is not simple lack of training but a total lack of control of unlicensed people who can operate as Plumbers with impunity driving down wages of those who do know what they are about.

PS. Not all Part G operatives are Gas Safe registered, just ask to see there cards or Cert's.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Cold Water Dripping From Tundish in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. Itā€™s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
I want to reconnect some outbuildings to an existing water supply. The supply pipe is old 22mm MDPE and buried for a fair distance so not going to dig it up and replace it šŸ˜¬. Question is can I use normal 22mm plumbing push-fit connectors to make the connection as finding 22mm MDPE fittings...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I'm would like to extend an existing outside tap to another point in the garden. I'm about to pour a concrete patio and was hoping to run the water line underneath. There are existing drain (and who knows what) pipes running along the same wall so I'm nervous about digging too far...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Hello all, Iā€™m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. Iā€™m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock