Search the forum,

Discuss Cold tap in upstairs bathroom flow problem in the Bathrooms, Showers and Wetrooms area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi all,

I'm having an issue with the cold tap in my upstairs bathroom. There is barely a trickle of water coming out, while the hot water tap is running fine. I'm not having any problems with any other cold taps in my house.

A Google search suggests that there may be an airlock in the system.

I have attached a picture of the type of tap that I have.

image0 (4).jpeg

Is there anything I can do to try and rectify this issue myself before getting a plumber involved? I am a total novice when it comes to these things.

Many thanks in advance!

If you have hot water its unlikely its an air lock most likely the washer is trapped. Do you have service valves on the pipes under the basin? if so turn the cold off, the top part of the head unscrews just above the gold rings. The screw underneath will then be visible, remove, and the head will come off. You can then take the valve out and check the washer. If you dont have valves on the pipes you may be on a tank supply, try by turning the cold mains off and checking you don't have water through the tap. If you have, better let a plumber look at the tap for you. Good luck.

If you have hot water its unlikely its an air lock most likely the washer is trapped. Do you have service valves on the pipes under the basin? if so turn the cold off, the top part of the head unscrews just above the gold rings. The screw underneath will then be visible, remove, and the head will come off. You can then take the valve out and check the washer. If you dont have valves on the pipes you may be on a tank supply, try by turning the cold mains off and checking you don't have water through the tap. If you have, better let a plumber look at the tap for you. Good luck.
Hi, thanks for getting back to me.

Are these the service valves?
8FE29CC0-4FEF-4285-9EDD-1D65DEF11A02.jpeg

No that confirms that you have no isolation valves and no kinked flexi hose 😄 if you’re tank fed then you will have a hot water cylinder and cold tank in the loft, if you’re not then you’ll probably have a Combi boiler or unvented cylinder. Do you know what boiler you have?

No that confirms that you have no isolation valves and no kinked flexi hose 😄 if you’re tank fed then you will have a hot water cylinder and cold tank in the loft, if you’re not then you’ll probably have a Combi boiler or unvented cylinder. Do you know what boiler you have?
Now that I do know! It's a Combi boiler - Greenstar i System Compact.

You're quite right of course, sorry about that.

Just for my understanding, if I shut off the mains and then open the affected cold tap, what are the possible outcomes and what will each mean?

If you turn off the cold main, and tank fed, then you will get very wet unless you drain the tank via anything connected to the tank, eg bath, toilet etc.

If you turn off the cold main and it’s mains fed, then it’ll be fine.

Just find out. Turn off water at stop tap, open tap in question, open cold on bath too if you have one, flush loo etc. When the water stops work on the tap.

Thanks all for your advice and patience.

We have established that I have a system boiler. I also have a water tank upstairs.

I will turn the mains tap off and open the tap in question. I will drain the system by flushing toilets etc.

But what are the next steps after that? "When the water stops work on the tap"/"Checking you don't have water through the tap. If you have, better let a plumber look at the tap for you."

I'm just not clear what I need to do next.

Reply to Cold tap in upstairs bathroom flow problem in the Bathrooms, Showers and Wetrooms area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
I have a plumber coming tomorrow to change a cartridge on a badly dripping tap on my bathroom mixer unit. There is no separate isolating valve for this tap so I'll have to close the stopcock. I tried closing it today but it won't go absolutely 100% closed and there is still a very slight flow...
Replies
Views
Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock