Search the forum,

Discuss Cold Rad's & return cool on another rad in the Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Sorry I have sort of asked this before, tried professionals but not great 1st experience hence DIY attempt attempt again.

2 completely cold rad's, another one get pretty warm, flow pipe hot, return v.luke warm. (Both rad's I have manually flushed really well)
Hot water works fine, boiler return pipe hot.
CH on, 13 rad's work very well, even into loft conversion, return pipe pretty hot to boiler

Nots so worried about the rad that gets quite hot with poor return pipe, just mentioning.

My main question is the 2 cold rad's, one specifically that I have been trying to work on.

Have manually flushed a lot, so clear water.
Have attached drain pipe to the bleed valve hole, full size an adapter (not the tiny bleed hole)

If I open either end valve, one at a time, the water flows really well, right side got hot water coming through within a minute, prob. less.
left side still seemed a little warm but the rad had heated a bit by then, both pipes warm'ish.
Only the top of the rad got hot but I guess was simply flowing up & out. Did not want to leave on too long as would have been drawing cold water & perhaps risk of air in from the heater tank.

I am sure this rad use to work well but has been a good few years since I remember it being ok, just never worried too much.
No piping changed.
If you look at the really rubbish drawing, it does look like it is perhaps on a spur or last rad but again I have isolated, all others off & it never got the least bit warm.

Above has improved since new CH pump, old one less than 5 years old but replaced anyway & was a big improvement

I have had a few guys out (great review) one did a power flush, well they said they had, but not better, in fact worse & after I realized they had never changed or emptied the water, for 16 rads not surprised ! I manually took two out & hose flushed two & thick black muck!
Two others came out, want to do power flush, understandably but then extra to investigate if not working & I know the two cold rad's are clean now so surely most likely some other issue, I would prefer that is considered first. They also want to do lots of other bits, change the magna clean, nothing wrong with mine & change auto air vents, I know one is new'ish & don't seem to get trapped air, rad's bleed well. Sorry for the moan & everyone says, get a professional, but £1400 & that's assuming no further investigation is needed, rather losing faith in some professionals. Very similar experience with another I ask.

Attachments

• BoilerForForum.pdf
    152.3 KB · Views: 4
  • HeatingPlan.pdf
    19.9 KB · Views: 5
Bit of a head-scratcher. When you tested the flow through each side of the radiator, did you turn off EVERY other radiator first? I'm left wondering if water could be backfeeding through the other blocked radiator? This might invalidate your test.
New Bitmap Image.jpg

Have you tried balancing the system? Has the 3 port been looked at to make sure it’s fully heating radiator circuit only?

Reply to Cold Rad's & return cool on another rad in the Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock