Search the forum,

Discuss Clicking sound from external stop tap in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Hello
I am hoping someone can help with a very frustrating issue. I have noticed a clicking sound in the water pipes when the cold water is used. It is especially when the washing machine is going or when the toilet is flushed - the clicking noise vibrates through the pipes in the whole house and can be heard upstairs. I have traced the noise to the external stop tap - whenever the clicking occurs the stop tap vibrates and can only be stopped by running the cold tap and turning it off slowly. Any ideas why this might be happening? I’ve tried turning the stop tap lower but this doesn’t solve it
Thanks in advance for any help!

Thank you for your reply. I did ring Yorkshire Water but typically in the day the engineer came it didn’t happen - until about 10 minutes after he left! He didn’t look at the stop tap and said he thought it must be air in the pipes. I’ll call them again to come back! Thank you for your help

Hello
I am hoping someone can help with a very frustrating issue. I have noticed a clicking sound in the water pipes when the cold water is used. It is especially when the washing machine is going or when the toilet is flushed - the clicking noise vibrates through the pipes in the whole house and can be heard upstairs. I have traced the noise to the external stop tap - whenever the clicking occurs the stop tap vibrates and can only be stopped by running the cold tap and turning it off slowly. Any ideas why this might be happening? I’ve tried turning the stop tap lower but this doesn’t solve it
Thanks in advance for any help!

Are you sure it's the external one? Is it clicking or banging? Probably loose pipes. Is it a meter turning?

I am sure it’s the tap. Whenever I hear the ticking I’ve been out to the tap and it is vibrating. We don’t have a water metre so it can’t be that

So you hear the clicking inside, but the boundary (external) tap is just vibrating? Have you checked your incoming stopcock/tap?

Reply to Clicking sound from external stop tap in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I'm would like to extend an existing outside tap to another point in the garden. I'm about to pour a concrete patio and was hoping to run the water line underneath. There are existing drain (and who knows what) pipes running along the same wall so I'm nervous about digging too far...
Replies
Views
Our kitchen mixer tap has started dripping. Like so much of the plumbing in our almost new build bungalow, it is lacking! The plumber didn't install any isolating cocks in the H&C feed to the tap so how can I identify which of the valves is passing? Shut the whole H&C water system down?
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock