Search the forum,

Discuss Clicking/Dripping sound near the radiator in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
W

Wadapaz

Hi,

When i turn on my radiator ... i hear some clicking and dripping sound under the floor near my radiator ... sounds like it's coming from the pipes. Sometimes it becomes loud banging sound after a few hours ... and sometimes it turns perfectly quiet. I have bled the radiator and re-pressurized the boiler. A plumber came and said this is very normal as the pipes expand.

is this really normal and is there something we can do to fix it?

i've recorded 2 short videos about the noises

File1 - YouTube

File2 - YouTube

thanks

That's some serious clicking. Pipes need to be clipped properly and not pressed too tightly against anything.

Could be something really simple like the pipe expanding against the carpet gripper (in which case chip some gripper away with a screwdriver or chisel). If not then it might be worth investigating under the floorboard to see if a pipe's rubbing against the joist.

its most likely expansion of the pipework against timber floor boards or joists. you will probably need to lift the floor boards and clip and lagg part of the pipework.

smooth edge looks new its not that against the pipe where it passes through the floor

More than likely thermostatic valve, had similar problem a while back, not to say pipe's aren't expanding etc. But if its a new noise then I'd be looking at valve

Hi,

When i turn on my radiator ... i hear some clicking and dripping sound under the floor near my radiator ... sounds like it's coming from the pipes. Sometimes it becomes loud banging sound after a few hours ... and sometimes it turns perfectly quiet. I have bled the radiator and re-pressurized the boiler. A plumber came and said this is very normal as the pipes expand.

is this really normal and is there something we can do to fix it?

i've recorded 2 short videos about the noises

File1 - YouTube

File2 - YouTube

thanks

Is it a new radiator ,

I've had ticking noises before on a new rad , my lad fitted rad without plastic spacers that go on top of the brackets , I fitted them the next day , it solved the ticking noise ,

Hi,When i turn on my radiator ... i hear some clicking and dripping sound under the floor I have bled the radiator and re-pressurized the boiler.

has there been any loss of pressure apart from bleeding the radiator?

Have anybody found a cure to this? we have exactly the same clicking noise from under the froorboard, could be hundred of them in an hour and could be a lot less, there's no pattern to it, we have just moved into the house so we don't know the history. Thanks.

It's probably expansion of the pipe against the floor joists. If you want to sort it, you will have to lift the floor in the vicinity of the noise, and look for notches that aren't wide/deep enough. Quite a common problem.

Thanks
We have lifted the floorboard, looking at the pipes hearing the tickings but could not possibly say where exactly is it. we ended up replacing that part of the pipes with new plastic ones, the tickings has now shifted by 2 feet but they are still there.:smile5:

If its against the floorboards a quick remedy but not a cure is to melt some candle wax into the hole

Have anybody found a cure to this? we have exactly the same clicking noise from under the froorboard, could be hundred of them in an hour and could be a lot less, there's no pattern to it, we have just moved into the house so we don't know the history. Thanks.

is the pattern the heating coming on and off?
i dont mean you turning it on and off i mean the stat doing it automatically, often its just expanding pipe as it comes on that sounds like a drip, sometimes its a drip. you find out by checking pressure if sealed or investigating if not

Hmm! As said it is quite common, but drives you nuts. Its usually expansion as everybody seems to be saying The problem is noise can travel for a long way along a pipe. A very common cause is joist notches not deep enough or the pipes not wrapped as they go over the joist. Its a right job to find the cause sometimes all you can do is check each section of pipe is installed properly.

Can't hear the boiler working as it's at the other end of the house so can not tell if noise start when it kicks in. Probably not a drip as we don't see dump at the ceiling down below, and it does not loose pressure.
Clicks come in batches in every minute or less.:speechless: Boiler by the way is:Vaillant ecoTEC plus 837 combi

Last edited:
Try turning the valve to a different setting to see if this helps

Thank you all for your help, turned out that by moving one of the pipes couple of millimeters away from the joist stopped those ticking noise. Hope this would help someone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Clicking/Dripping sound near the radiator in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi there, My boiler (Worcester Greenstar Ri) has started making a soft knocking noise when it turns on, and again a few times when it turns off. I've attached a short video of the sound. It isn't constant, it seems to happen within the first 10 mins of the boiler starting up, then you won't...
Replies
Views
Hi, hope someone can help with this. My central heating system has a Worcester gas combi boiler, paired with a nest thermostat and a megaflo cylinder. When the boiler starts in the morning, the radiators start to warm up ok, but this is accompanied by a loud whining of the pipes attached to the...
Replies
Views
This issue arose about a year ago. Does anyone have an idea why I occasionally hear (about once every hour or longer) a hammer related noise coming from my copper water pipes when no water is being used? It basically sounds like the noise you hear after the water shuts off when your toilet bowl...
Replies
Views
When we turn on the water first thing in the morning of after a while of non use there is vibration sound that can be heard to different degrees across the house. Its not instant but normally after a minute when the water has been turned off. It doesn't seem to be isolated to a particular...
Replies
Views
Munday
M
Hi All, In Dec 2023 I had my annual boiler service and asked the plumber to change 2 radiator valves as the radiator in the toilet downstairs was not working. He changed both valves and still the radiator was not working. He put some chemicals in and said it should break up anything that is...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock