Search the forum,

Discuss Clicking/Banging/Ticking Pipes and Radiators in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

StudentShaun

Hello, I moved into my apartment a year ago and noticed that every night there is a consistent clicking noise coming from the pipes / radiators. My apartment is all on 1 floor, but the block of flats is 8 stories high. There are pipes (in each room with a radiator) which connect to the rooms above and below. The bedroom radiator doesn't work and hasn't since I moved in. I have tried bleeding it, but there is seemingly no air or water being released. I am unable to turn it on / off by the valve (the other two radiators work in my apartment and I am able to switch them on or off). The clicking/tapping noise occurs regardless of whether I leave the radiators on or off or whether I leave one on and the other off. I have bled all radiators and this makes no difference. I don't have access to the boiler in my flat as the central heating seems to be controlled for the whole building (about 200 flats).

I find that I need to sleep with earphones in, which usually leaves me with headaches upon waking up. Also I am a student and it is very disruptive when I am studying. The pipes / radiators seem to begin clicking at around 11pm and continue throughout the night. As far as I can tell this is when the central heating comes on / goes off.

The flat only has electricity and water, no gas. The gas was removed at some point within the my first year of staying here. However the clicking occurred before this and still occurs now. It seems to be unrelated to the water from the taps as I have switched this off once and the problem of the clicking still occurs.

If I get the bedroom radiator fixed will the problem immediately be solved?
Is there anything i can do myself to solve this?

Seriously need this sorted or I am going to go mad. I have signed a contract for the flat for another year and I need sleep and a decent environment to study.

Please help.
Thanks! (If there's anything else I can answer to help solve the issue, just ask)

As your renting tell the landlord as I don't think you can do anything your self sounds like pipes expanding in tight clips / notches

It will be noise created by the expansion and contraction of the heating piping in the building.
The piping is clipped too tight to the surface it is clipped too. There has probably been no allowance for expansion / contraction of the heating pipes in the system when it was installed.

There isn't a great deal you can do about it now, unless you complain constantly to your agent, body corporate or property owner.

But complain about the radiator not working first - at least that should be a relatively easy fix - hopefully.

As for sleeping at night - get some prescription downers or PM our Super Mod - Croppie.
He may give you some advice on how to tire yourself to the point of exhaustion to make you sleep through the night.

Need to speak to landlord first, but more than likely a building maintenance problem, if all flats are using a common heat source, any issues like this could be down to whoever owns the block.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Clicking/Banging/Ticking Pipes and Radiators in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock