Search the forum,

Discuss CLEARING LONG OUTLET PIPE in the Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

I have a very long outlet pipe from my ensuite bathroom which runs from near the front of the house, via a rear bedroom to the back of the house. Water is running out very slowly. It is possible that there is a blockage somewhere along the length of this long pipe.

Can anyone recommend a strong liquid that I can put down which might clear any blockage.

Obviously, it must be compatible with a plastic pipe.

All discharge pipes have a maximum length and “ fall “ in order to work correctly.
If the length is exceeded it will cause problems .
Instead of using chemicals, its probably going to be easier to take it apart and blast a hosepipe down it . How long roughly is the pipe , and what diameter.

I have a very long outlet pipe from my ensuite bathroom which runs from near the front of the house, via a rear bedroom to the back of the house. Water is running out very slowly. It is possible that there is a blockage somewhere along the length of this long pipe.

Can anyone recommend a strong liquid that I can put down which might clear any blockage.

Obviously, it must be compatible with a plastic pipe.
While it is still running then boiling water will do, or even a constant flow of water might just clear it
however If this happens often then you need to look at several things. So is the main outflow
via a 4 inch soil pipe, is there is a wc or is there a saniflow type set up ? let us know the arrangements and
we can help you solve your problem. centralheatking

All discharge pipes have a maximum length and “ fall “ in order to work correctly.
If the length is exceeded it will cause problems .
Instead of using chemicals, its probably going to be easier to take it apart and blast a hosepipe down it . How long roughly is the pipe , and what diameter.
Thanks. The pipe is roughly 3.5cm diameter as it leaves the washbasin (the remainder is boxed in ) and the length (ie until it reaches the outside rear wall) is approx 7 metres.

Is this shower/ bath only, basin only or everything in the room? Reason I ask is because most of the time it is the trap below the shower or bath.

Is this shower/ bath only, basin only or everything in the room? Reason I ask is because most of the time it is the trap below the shower or bath.
I believe that it is the shower/bath + wash basin. It's all boxed in (both in the ensuite and then in the run through the rear bedroom to the outside).I presume that the pipes from the shower/bath and basin join together at some point.

Anything above 3m in length should be run in a 50mm wastepipe with a min fall of 18mm/1m to a max of 75mm/1m. As for a really good drain cleanser try "one shot" be Careful it is industrial stuff wear gloves and goggles and cover any bare skin from splashes.

Thanks.Will 'One Shot" be ok for plastic piping?

Yes it will be ok to use on plastic pipe

Thanks. I have bought One Shot. The instructions state 125ml 'neat' for 5 minutes then add 150ml cold water for 5 minutes then flush + repeat if necessary. Given the length of the outlet pipe (around 7m) - do you agree with these quantities and procedure?

Thanks. I have bought One Shot. The instructions state 125ml 'neat' for 5 minutes then add 150ml cold water for 5 minutes then flush + repeat if necessary. Given the length of the outlet pipe (around 7m) - do you agree with these quantities and procedure?

Darren -looking forward to hearing from you re the above 'One Shot' query.

Also, do you think 'Power Plumber - instant drain cleaner' is worth a try if 'One Shot' doesn't work very well?

I look at how deep the water seal is 125ml might not be enough to get through the trap and down to the problem area. Should be ok for a shallow bath trap or 75mm bottle trap. But anything bigger like a P trap or S trap I poor half a bottle neat down first & go n have a cuppa then go back to flush it through. Then poor the rest of it down and flush it again after 5 mins or so. One bottle usually does the trick even on pub urinal systems which can be very stubborn and completely calcified.

I look at how deep the water seal is 125ml might not be enough to get through the trap and down to the problem area. Should be ok for a shallow bath trap or 75mm bottle trap. But anything bigger like a P trap or S trap I poor half a bottle neat down first & go n have a cuppa then go back to flush it through. Then poor the rest of it down and flush it again after 5 mins or so. One bottle usually does the trick even on pub urinal systems which can be very stubborn and completely calcified.
Thanks Darren. As noted in an earlier post I have a 7 metre run from the basin to the outside of the house.The problem could be a blockage anywhere along this length or it could simply be that the fall is insufficient (or a combination of both). So I am thinking of starting off with the standard measure of 125ml (in case the problem is near the basin) and if that does not work doing as you suggest. Does that make sense?

I would also appreciate your comments on 'Power Plumber - instant drain cleaner'. It was mentioned on a Youtube video that I watched and came highly recommended.

Pub line cleaner is very good just ask your friendly bar person but follow instructions
...we are used to it now and go as far as double the pack strength. and keep area well ventilated ...create a draught like ft door open and nearby window.
centralheatking

A good quality plunger used properly with due consideration for the application of elbow grease is surely the first port of call here? Once you've bunged the chems down manual methods are much more dangerous.

Reply to CLEARING LONG OUTLET PIPE in the Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock