Search the forum,

Discuss Cleanout problem... cannot open cleanout to get to drain obstruction. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

I have an obstruction in a drain pipe. Plumbing was new with the house 65 years ago, and the particular cleanout I need to open has not been opened in all that time. I put a wrench on the plug expecting it to come out. Instead, the plug remains firmly seated in the flange, and the flange spins in the drain pipe. As far as I can tell the flange is not threaded into the drain pipe. Is there something I am missing? Perhaps I need a pipe wrench on the flange while I use a big wrench on the plug? Any advice would be appreciated.
Cleanout20191012.jpg

Yes, try a big pair of Stilsons (pipe wrench for steel pipe) on there and a nice big spanner on the square head. If that fails to shift it I would give it a good blast with a blowtorch, get it nice and hot and you'll have a much better chance of moving it.

If the flange is spinning in the pipe then either it is threaded or it is a push-fit (unlikely), try pulling as you undo the flange.

Reply to Cleanout problem... cannot open cleanout to get to drain obstruction. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock