Search the forum,

Discuss Cleaning Toilet Siphon Jets? in the Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi, I have just moved into a new rented property and have noticed that the toilet doesn't flush all around the bowl, the water is mainly at the back and so the front and sides hardly get any water flushing round them.

I have looked into it and I think the siphon jets are either blocked or very dirty (looks like black mould or something around them). I have looked elsewhere online and it seems they simply need cleaning and that white vinegar is a good solution for this. I have read that you can pour vinegar into the cistern and leave it there for a while and then flush the system and this helps to get rid of the bacteria and limescale build up. You can also clean the jets themselves using a wire (I have bought some small pipe cleaners) and vinegar again.

But before I do all this please can someone explain how to go about it and if it's safe to do so. The cistern has a Fluidmaster Dual Flush Valve so presumably I pour the winegar into the overflow pipe? How much do I pour in and should I turn the water off first with the stopcock and empty the cistern of water by flushing it before I pour the vinegar in?

How long do I leave the vinegar in for, overnight? Do I need to block the siphon jets up first before I flush the vinegar, leave it overnight and then remove the tape or whatever from the siphon jets and then flush?

Sorry for all the questions but I just want to make sure I don't cause any damage before I go ahead and attempt the fix myself.

Thanks for any help.

Hi, I have just moved into a new rented property and have noticed that the toilet doesn't flush all around the bowl, the water is mainly at the back and so the front and sides hardly get any water flushing round them.

I have looked into it and I think the siphon jets are either blocked or very dirty (looks like black mould or something around them). I have looked elsewhere online and it seems they simply need cleaning and that white vinegar is a good solution for this. I have read that you can pour vinegar into the cistern and leave it there for a while and then flush the system and this helps to get rid of the bacteria and limescale build up. You can also clean the jets themselves using a wire (I have bought some small pipe cleaners) and vinegar again.

But before I do all this please can someone explain how to go about it and if it's safe to do so. The cistern has a Fluidmaster Dual Flush Valve so presumably I pour the winegar into the overflow pipe? How much do I pour in and should I turn the water off first with the stopcock and empty the cistern of water by flushing it before I pour the vinegar in?

How long do I leave the vinegar in for, overnight? Do I need to block the siphon jets up first before I flush the vinegar, leave it overnight and then remove the tape or whatever from the siphon jets and then flush?

Sorry for all the questions but I just want to make sure I don't cause any damage before I go ahead and attempt the fix myself.

Thanks for any help.
I would start off with an old toothbrush dipped in vinegar or bleach in toilet pan, use marigolds. Then your pipe cleaners. Beware of over use of addatives in cistern..just lift lid..as addatives can over time make the plastic components brittle. Also beware of those things that hang over the rim of the bog pan. If they become detached and get flushed they can and do block the drain. centralheatking

Reply to Cleaning Toilet Siphon Jets? in the Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock