Search the forum,

Discuss Cleaning central heating system in the Gas Engineers Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Hello.
We live in the UK and have an open vent CH system with a tank in the attic.
Recently our hot water didn't work, so we called a gas engineer. He popped in , did tap a few pipes around water storage tank with a magic wound ( magnes ) and water started heating up. He said that some pipes were blocked and suggested to clean whole system which is about 10 years old.
My question is, can I do that with a chemical without draining out water? I heard of chemicals which dissolve.
Any help is much appreciated.
Thanks

Hey,

I don't know of any cleaners out there that can be left in the system. If such exist I would question how effective they are if they are neutral enough to be left inside the system. If you entire system is only 10 years old I would be surprised if corrosion is causing blockages already. If your guy was selling you a powerflush maybe his words should be taken with a grain of salt. If your system is blocked - get it powerflushed properly, there isnt a DIY solution.

Another option would be to install a magnetic central heaitng filter. And then check it after some months. Or if you already have one just get someone to service your boiler and clean it just ask them to show you before they do. If your filter is clean you probably don't have any blockages anywhere.

Also best practice is to ask your guy for an invoice or receipt and to state exactly what the issue was and what he did to remedy, this information can save you another callout charge.

Hey,

I don't know of any cleaners out there that can be left in the system. If such exist I would question how effective they are if they are neutral enough to be left inside the system. If you entire system is only 10 years old I would be surprised if corrosion is causing blockages already. If your guy was selling you a powerflush maybe his words should be taken with a grain of salt. If your system is blocked - get it powerflushed properly, there isnt a DIY solution.

Another option would be to install a magnetic central heaitng filter. And then check it after some months. Or if you already have one just get someone to service your boiler and clean it just ask them to show you before they do. If your filter is clean you probably don't have any blockages anywhere.

Also best practice is to ask your guy for an invoice or receipt and to state exactly what the issue was and what he did to remedy, this information can save you another callout charge.

Hey,

Thanks for your comment.
Our engineer said they could clean it up for nearly £200 which would be done in 2 visits. This is a little too much for me, so I had a suggestion from another engineer, that I could use some dissolving chemicals.
Is it pretty straight forward to clean it up. I know where the main valve is. I also know how to drain it out.
What chemical would you suggest to use?
Thanks

Reply to Cleaning central heating system in the Gas Engineers Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock