Search the forum,

Discuss Cleaning 100 year old cast iron rads. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

S

Sharp Point

Morning people, I’m in the middle of a listed building refurb. The customer is having overlay ufh throughout and using the original cast iron rads as the supplementary heat. I’m removing the top and bottom entry bushes to have them at the bottom, there’s lots of dried magnetite coming out. I’m thinking of hooking up a powerflush machine whilst we’re at building stage to clean them. I’ve put some of the big lumps into an acid/ water mix and it’s not limescale . What chemicals would give satisfactory results on cold water powerflush?

Thanks

8DFDF3B6-F745-4563-BF47-795BC026FE7E.jpeg

6C7F963A-7498-4A2B-9764-6AC3F84B24BD.jpeg

It probably best to keep doing what you are doing.
Remove the entry bushes, belt the heater around a bit and then tip out the dried magnetite.
I would be hesitant putting too strong a chemical through the rads, due to the old paper gaskets used between each section.
It may just be worth flushing with water after getting as much magnetite out while the rad is dry

use a rubber mallet and a powerfull magnet as well as
some of the right type of sentinal, or other chemicals.
Ring up their technical number
they will give you good advice. X800 Sentinal but keep it going round loads of times or soak if you can find big enough old tank.
We used to bung them in the pine strippers vat years ago
centralheatking

use a rubber mallet and a powerfull magnet as well as
some of the right type of sentinal, or other chemicals.
Ring up their technical number
they will give you good advice. X800 Sentinal but keep it going round loads of times or soak if you can find big enough old tank.
We used to bung them in the pine strippers vat years ago
centralheatking

Just remember, whatever you use, make sure the PH is properly back to neutral when you've done. I suspect it will take as long to do that as clean 'em.

Just remember, whatever you use, make sure the PH is properly back to neutral when you've done. I suspect it will take as long to do that as clean 'em.
great advice...forgot that ..and if they are not going to be used for a while, do not store them dry, introduce some chainsaw oil insude and roll it around, then clear it out before use.
chking...good luck sounds a great project

Flush them with mains water before fitting

Warn and double warn the customer of the potential future problems with that in the system, could end in tears

I’ve connected all the rads in series and going to run some x800 via a powerflush all day tomorrow and then flush em out with cold water.

I personally would not do it on site after having problems in the past , they should be removed to be aqua blasted stripped down cleaned then rebuilt with new joints , pressure tested then painted before refitting , you are setting yourself up for a failure here make sure you have it in writing that you will not be held responsible for any future leaks on the radiators at the very least . Kop

Reply to Cleaning 100 year old cast iron rads. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock