Search the forum,

Discuss Cistern push button size question in the DIY Plumbing Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Recently replaced an enclosed cistern with one of the exact same size but the new push flush button (pneumatic) is far larger than the old one (cable-operated). We would prefer to keep the smaller button but have been told that the large button will be needed to effectively operate the cistern and the small one would be insufficient. Before resigning ourselves to the bigger one and cutting a larger whole in the cabinet I wondered if anyone could advise if this is the case or if I can simply find a pneumatic button of the same size? Any advice would be gratefully received!

What cistern is it?

For example Dudley Vantage has the option of large or small buttons, it is easier to push the large button but either will operate the Niagara flush valve which is in the cistern.

( approx 40mm or 75mm I think, also square ones)

You have to match the button to the flush valve.

I'm guessing the flush valve you have is a Wirquin, the button hole is huge compared to pretty much all the others, once you've drilled the hole you're stuck with using Wirquin valves unless you replace the panel that you drilled.
The Wirquin valves are good but I wouldn't choose them just because replacement parts/valves are harder to find, and in my experience -more expensive than a brand like Fluidmaster.

Sorry all for delay in replying, been out of action this week.
The cistern is a Torrent Slimline Concealed Cistern TR9001 and the push button is 63mm diameter. The old cable-operated one was 35mm diameter. I have seen smaller pneumatic buttons online but wasn't sure if the pressure would be enough for the cistern/flush?

Sorry all for delay in replying, been out of action this week.
The cistern is a Torrent Slimline Concealed Cistern TR9001 and the push button is 63mm diameter. The old cable-operated one was 35mm diameter. I have seen smaller pneumatic buttons online but wasn't sure if the pressure would be enough for the cistern/flush?
I'd be inclined to buy one to try - you don't have to install it, just connect the hose!
There are some requiring only a small hole, but behind that the pneumatic 'pump' is quite large diameter, so should deliver the necessary volume of air. Eg:

But I'm not promising this is compatible or will work!

I'd be inclined to buy one to try - you don't have to install it, just connect the hose!
There are some requiring only a small hole, but behind that the pneumatic 'pump' is quite large diameter, so should deliver the necessary volume of air. Eg:

But I'm not promising this is compatible or will work!
Thanks Basher. Think I will just try a smaller one and see how it goes - it'll either work or it won't!

Reply to Cistern push button size question in the DIY Plumbing Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock