Search the forum,

Discuss Cistern problem/Meter readings in the Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi,

I am just about to move into a new build property.

I took the water meter readings and they read 000000,620 I had a look around the property like you do and used the toilet.

When I flushed it the water kept trickling into the toilet and not into the cistern.

The cistern is built into the wall and it's a double flush. I took off the cover to see if I could see anything obvious. I put my hand in and could feel a little bit of limesccale.

I'm not sure of the name but I pressed thing down that let's the flush go and it sorted the problem. The cistern filled up and the water stopped going into the toilet so I though limescale was the culprit.

The next day I took my daughter to see it and out of curiosity I looked at the meter again. It now said 000000, 842 so I though howvthe heck has it used 222l in 24 hrs and all i done was flush the toilet a few times. I

I had another look at the toilet and could hete something. The cistern was topping up about every 30-60 seconds so not completly filling up it just made the fill noise for about 3 seconds then stopped 30-60 seconds later it done the same and continued like this.

The first thing I done is turn the main stop tap off to the flat, the second thing I thought was where has all that water gone.

There are 2 things in the cistern. A taller thing on the left and a shorter thing on the right, the smaller part on the right seems a little bit loose but not sure if they have a bit of give when you move them as they are flimsy.

I live on the 2nd floor and there are 5 flats below me. Them flats are empty at the mo and i checked all the ceilings which are ok. So I'm wondering did the water go through the overflow. I run my finger around the toilet above the water and it was dry.

I went to the flat again today and the meter hasn't changed so its definitely the cistern. And when I checked the cistern thetes about a cm of water at the bottom.

I'm wondering if its leaking from the bottom of one of the 2 parts in there.

Ive changed the flush parts on the old type of toilets which was fairly straight forward but this one is impossible to see inside and I can only see the tops of the parts. What a stupid idea.

I've tried to describe as best I can.

Any ideas what It might be and being inexperienced will this be best left to a plumber or is there something I can fiddle with and see. I did try pressing down on the thing on the right thinking it might have popped out of the cistern
and maybe it would pop back in but no joy as its flimsy.

I'll appreciate any help and advice.

Also as it's a new build I think thete is a 2 yeayour snagging, so i think the developer will be responsible for fixing but not sure on this either.

Thank you

The flush/ dump valve either needs cleaning or replacing. Lay squares of dry tissue paper all around the underside of the rim, turn water on and watch it change to wet. Very common problem. Might be able to advise more with photos showing inside the cistern.

The flush/ dump valve either needs cleaning or replacing. Lay squares of dry tissue paper all around the underside of the rim, turn water on and watch it change to wet. Very common problem. Might be able to advise more with photos showing inside the cistern.
Thank you for your help.

I'm going to take some more stuff to the flat soon and I'll try and take some pics.

Is the flush/dump valve easy enough to change? Is it just turn it anticlockwise and it comes out or is there a bit more to it, I know its tight in there and I'm guessing fiddly to do.

Although it's a new build, it was built 3 years ago and I've notice there was quite a bit of limescale, maybe like you said it might need cleaning.

If it is easy enough to change should I just take the old valve to b&q and match it up or are they universal.

Thanks for taking the time to reply 👍

Really depends on what you have there, most are twist to replace now, some you can replace the rubber sealing washer on the bottom, others you can flip the washer over and re use them. Not many makes will fit in the cradle of another make.

Really depends on what you have there, most are twist to replace now, some you can replace the rubber sealing washer on the bottom, others you can flip the washer over and re use them. Not many makes will fit in the cradle of another make.
Thank you, I cant remember the name of the toilet.

I'll take some pics and post here asap.

I'll try to give it a twist. Would it be worth putting some limescale remover in there to try and clean it?

I'll try not to drop my phone in there 😂bet that's happened more than once.

Thank you👍

Thank you, I cant remember the name of the toilet.

I'll take some pics and post here asap.

I'll try to give it a twist. Would it be worth putting some limescale remover in there to try and clean it?

I'll try not to drop my phone in there 😂bet that's happened more than once.

If
Thank you👍
The make of the toilet means nothing it is the fittings inside the cistern that count. Wont any cleaner added simply run into the toilet.

The make of the toilet means nothing it is the fittings inside the cistern that count. Wont any cleaner added simply run into the toilet.
Mmm, yeah I guess your right.

I thought maybe spraying with the HG limescale remover and as it runs down it will get rid of the limescale and then give it a wiggle 😁

Just trying to get away without taking it out, I can imagine it being a pain to get back in or is it not that bad? Is it threaded or is there a recess that you need to match up.

Thanks

There are usuall three locating lugs right down the bottom so just twist to release and remove. Dont break one!
Mmm, yeah I guess your right.

I thought maybe spraying with the HG limescale remover and as it runs down it will get rid of the limescale and then give it a wiggle 😁

Just trying to get away without taking it out, I can imagine it being a pain to get back in or is it not that bad? Is it threaded or is there a recess that you need to match up.

Thanks

Brilliant,

Thanks for your help.

I'll have a fiddle and see how it goes and update here how it went.

If I have any problems I'll post pics here.

Thank you again 👍

I finally managed to go to the flat.

Last time I went there I let the cistern fill up to the top then turned the main water off before going home. On my return the cistern was still full. I put tissue squares around the inside of the toilet and there was no water. However when I flushed the toilet the problem returned and you can visibly see water slowly running into the toilet again.

I turned the main water tap off again and flushed the toilet to get rid of the water.
It was tight but I managed to get both my hands in the hole and grab the main body of the flush/dump valve and gave it a good twist anti clockwise then clockwise. I felt that if I twisted it any more something will break.
Theres a blue strip thing on the side of the valve and am wondering if it's anything to do with the release of the valve.

Not easy being a plumber 😂

Heres some picks

Thanks

Attachments

• 20220601_163249.jpg
    20220601_163249.jpg
    237.9 KB · Views: 4
  • 20220530_164052.jpg
    20220530_164052.jpg
    197 KB · Views: 5
  • 20220530_171245.jpg
    20220530_171245.jpg
    300.9 KB · Views: 5
  • 20220530_171250.jpg
    20220530_171250.jpg
    271.7 KB · Views: 5
  • 20220601_163400.jpg
    20220601_163400.jpg
    262 KB · Views: 6
  • 20220530_164000.jpg
    20220530_164000.jpg
    253.7 KB · Views: 7
  • 20220530_164027.jpg
    20220530_164027.jpg
    271.5 KB · Views: 7
  • 20220601_163254.jpg
    20220601_163254.jpg
    233.6 KB · Views: 6
  • 20220530_171733.jpg
    20220530_171733.jpg
    267.5 KB · Views: 5
  • 20220601_163310.jpg
    20220601_163310.jpg
    210.3 KB · Views: 5
  • 20220530_171804.jpg
    20220530_171804.jpg
    245.1 KB · Views: 5

Should just lift off so the video says

Thank you for that. I'll give that a try when I go there next. Maybe the plumber put it in as a complete unit but didn't push it down properly or maybe because the toilets not been used for 2 years the seal has gone for one reason or another.

I think I can buy a seal kit for flush valve and the other part in there for about £12 so maybe I'll service it every couple of years.

I'll let you know how I get on.

Cheers 👍

You might find it just needs a bit of use

Reply to Cistern problem/Meter readings in the Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock