Search the forum,

Discuss Cistern noisily leaking water internally from some kind of pipe? in the Bathrooms, Showers and Wetrooms area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi, I have a noisy cistern that appears to be leaking into the pan a little but also making a very frustrating water noise from inside, I have attached a picture of the offending item that is dripping water constantly. Guessing the whole lot needs replacing but not sure what to ask for when getting a new one. I should be able to replace it ok as it just looks like turn the mains off then unscrew the main water pipe which goes through the bottom of the cistern and into the offending part. Can anyone let me know what the whole unit is called and also why is it leaking from what looks like a pipe? Thanks
20230529_163031.jpg

Those float valves are easily serviceable and about the only ones I service without replacing.

If I recall correctly its a siamp valve, you undo the big corrugated nut and you'll remove a rubber washer inside which should look like the link below, your diaphragm will likely be split, if its not replace the whole valve. Pretty sure the one in the link below is the right one but just double check.

If not you need a bottom entry float valve, I normally choose dudley, link below. Changing the whole float is probably 1-2 hours work for you but the washer would take 5 mins and takes a lot less skill and less risk. You still need to turn the water off to replace it.

https://www.NoLinkingToThis/p/arcti...CXW0kuxPcfbgyu4GDw4aAmiREALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

https://www.NoLinkingToThis/p/thoma...1iU1x-yIGpV_25vcR38aAqiIEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

Last edited:

Reply to Cistern noisily leaking water internally from some kind of pipe? in the Bathrooms, Showers and Wetrooms area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I have a pneumatic concealed cistern behind a removable vanity panel. I pulled the panel off to investigate a dull knocking noise when the cistern is coming to nearly full, I haven't ascertained what this might be as yet, I wondered if it was the cold water pipes knocking (as in water hammer)...
Replies
Views
Suddenly my downstairs toilet stopped filling this week, I suspected a blockage in the filter or cistern itself, however after removal of everything it appears that there is no water coming in, its mains fed and no sign of leak anywhere , we have checked the isolation valve and its not faulty...
Replies
Views
Hi Just had a new bathroom installed with a toilet bowl that reaches the back wall. Its has a bottom entry cold feed to the cistern. The fitter put an isolation valve on the pipe work for this :-(, the copper pipe comes up from a plastic pipe push fit. See photo. I did a tissue paper test and...
Replies
Views
Hi folks, Soon after having oil fired central heating fitted my cistern started sounding like a foghorn having previously been quiet. It involved the fireplace being torn out, old pipe work crimped, cut and removed. The noise may be coincidental, but a noticeable increase in water pressure was...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone, thanks for your time reading this! We have noticed a leak appearing from the built-in toilet in our main bathroom that's spreading around our floors (great start to the year!). I've removed the panel behind the flusher and can see the water inlet attaching to the Cistern is slowly...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock