Search the forum,

Discuss Cistern bolt hole irregularly shaped - causing leaks in the DIY Plumbing Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi All

I've had to replace my cistern bolts recently as they had become rusted and were starting to crumble and cause leaks. After replacing the bolts, I've been getting a consistent leak out of the right side bolt. I took the bolts off to check if I did anything wrong and it seems like the bolt hole on the right side is not properly round, so it seems like the rubber washing isn't sitting perfectly flush which seems to be causing the leak.

I figure I need to find some way to plug that gap caused by the shape of the bolt hole, but I've had few people tell me I should avoid silicone/putty if possible. I'm at a bit of a loss about what to do at the moment. When I removed the previous bolts there was a mass of some sort around the right bolt, so I'm guessing whoever installed the toilet initially solved the issue with a sealant of some sort.

1624701597439.png

Right side hole

1624701765067.png

New bolt that I fitted.

Would appreciate any advice on what I could do/use to solve the problem.

How tight are you tightening it ?

Bit of clear silicon should sort it

You could get a diamond coated needle file and reshape the hole. However, that seems hard work. As Shaun replied, bit of silicone.

Or my preferred, CT1 as it sticks in the wet.

I silicone the lot. If the cistern comes pre assembled I take it back apart and silicone on the inlet valve, flush valve and cistern bolts.

Easier than pulling it all apart later because theres a leak.

Reply to Cistern bolt hole irregularly shaped - causing leaks in the DIY Plumbing Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock