Search the forum,

Discuss Choosing Combi with Modulation and Smart Controls in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi all

I wonder if anyone could offer some advice. I’m looking for a new combi and thought I may as well upgrade to smart controls if we have to change it.

I’ve pretty much worked out that I need a boiler with decent modulation (10:1 or as near to it would be great). I’d like a stainless heat exchanger and opentherm controls. 30kw would do but if it’s well modulated then I don’t see an issue with going to 34kw either.

The only part I’m struggling with is which brand. I looked at intergas but opinions seem to be split on those. Someone tried to sell me a ferolli blue helix but all the fitters I speak to seem to say avoid ferroli. Ideal and baxi have both been recommended but don’t seem to modulate low enough.

I’d really appreciate any recommendations, whether that be to go for or to avoid certain brands. My old boiler is still just about hanging on but I doubt for much longer and I’m now going to have to choose.

I did speak to some older heating engineers in the local merchants and tried to get some advice but they were older lads who didn’t seem to know what I was talking about with modulation ratio, one told me that people around here have a boiler and a thermostat and that’s it 😀

Anyway, any responses that help me clear this up will be really appreciated. Thanks for reading

You'll find that you struggle to get all of those in one boiler. I wanted a boiler that would do all of that, yet none were on the market. I ended up sacrificing the Modulation for the Opentherm in the end.

Worcester will do you 1:10 modulation but Alu HEX and own controls.
Vaillant - avoid the GreenIQ lots of issues. They have a new Plus model out next yet, that has 1:10, stainless hex but their own controls.
Ideal - Personally i'd avoid Ideal but the Vogue Max does have a Stainless Hex I believe.
Viessmann - would probably nearly meet all your requirements. Again personally not a fan, but others like them on here.

You'll find that you struggle to get all of those in one boiler. I wanted a boiler that would do all of that, yet none were on the market. I ended up sacrificing the Modulation for the Opentherm in the end.

Worcester will do you 1:10 modulation but Alu HEX and own controls.
Vaillant - avoid the GreenIQ lots of issues. They have a new Plus model out next yet, that has 1:10, stainless hex but their own controls.
Ideal - Personally i'd avoid Ideal but the Vogue Max does have a Stainless Hex I believe.
Viessmann - would probably nearly meet all your requirements. Again personally not a fan, but others like them on here.
Thank you for your input, much appreciated.

Believe it or not, the ferroli bluehelix has it all and for under £800 including flue. 10:1, opentherm and a stainless hex but it’s ferroli! It also has a 10yr warranty on it which should make it ok but I’ve read that their after sales isn’t great.

I wasn’t looking for a budget model in particular so was surprised to see all of that for £800. I have looked at viessman but saw some dislike as you mention.

I’ve probably had the most recommendations for Baxi but they don’t modulate well. I’m currently looking over Atag but I can’t see prices as they supply trade only.

Cheers.

Thank you for your input, much appreciated.

Believe it or not, the ferroli bluehelix has it all and for under £800 including flue. 10:1, opentherm and a stainless hex but it’s ferroli! It also has a 10yr warranty on it which should make it ok but I’ve read that their after sales isn’t great.

I wasn’t looking for a budget model in particular so was surprised to see all of that for £800. I have looked at viessman but saw some dislike as you mention.

I’ve probably had the most recommendations for Baxi but they don’t modulate well. I’m currently looking over Atag but I can’t see prices as they supply trade only.

Cheers.
I’ve fitted over 50 Ferroli Modenas, most of which are now 7/8 years old. In my experience their after service has been fantastic, in fact I’d go to say that it’s been better than the likes of Worcester and Vaillant. It maybe just that we have a great engineer in the North West - but no complaints from me. Providing the appliance is serviced annual, No questions asked. On top of that, I’ve never actually had a component go such as a Fan, gas valve etc. go. They had a couple of issues with leaking HEXs at one point at the rear, and I’ve had a few flue sensors snap.

Can’t comment on the new model, as never fitted. Only ever fitted the Modena range.

I’d avoid Atag, really no after service there.

I went for Main in the end (Baxi) and accepted short cycling. Works fine, and just pumps round the water at 30oc when required. Unless you’ve got a smart TRV system installed I wouldn’t worry about the low modulation rates too much.

I’ve fitted over 50 Ferroli Modenas, most of which are now 7/8 years old. In my experience their after service has been fantastic, in fact I’d go to say that it’s been better than the likes of Worcester and Vaillant. It maybe just that we have a great engineer in the North West - but no complaints from me. Providing the appliance is serviced annual, No questions asked. On top of that, I’ve never actually had a component go such as a Fan, gas valve etc. go. They had a couple of issues with leaking HEXs at one point at the rear, and I’ve had a few flue sensors snap.

Can’t comment on the new model, as never fitted. Only ever fitted the Modena range.

I’d avoid Atag, really no after service there.

I went for Main in the end (Baxi) and accepted short cycling. Works fine, and just pumps round the water at 30oc when required. Unless you’ve got a smart TRV system installed I wouldn’t worry about the low modulation rates too much.
Thanks for this, it adds some reassurance to the ferroli maybe. What I’ve read and been told is about the length of time people have to wait for an engineer to call and repair but I’ve read the same of other brands anyhow. From what I’ve read, the Bluehelix is the new Modena.

Thanks for that on Atag, they seem to have an OK name but there’s very limited info.

I am planning smart TRVs throughout, aside from a bypass. By the way, I’ve been looking at the Drayton system for those as it’s reasonable compared to others and works without internet. Do you know if there’s any need for a room thermostat if all rooms have smart TRVs? I can’t see why there would be.

Thank you for helping. I’ve been struggling to decide which brand to choose for weeks. I think I’ll just have to buy something and keep everything crossed in the end!

Thanks for this, it adds some reassurance to the ferroli maybe. What I’ve read and been told is about the length of time people have to wait for an engineer to call and repair but I’ve read the same of other brands anyhow. From what I’ve read, the Bluehelix is the new Modena.

Thanks for that on Atag, they seem to have an OK name but there’s very limited info.

I am planning smart TRVs throughout, aside from a bypass. By the way, I’ve been looking at the Drayton system for those as it’s reasonable compared to others and works without internet. Do you know if there’s any need for a room thermostat if all rooms have smart TRVs? I can’t see why there would be.

Thank you for helping. I’ve been struggling to decide which brand to choose for weeks. I think I’ll just have to buy something and keep everything crossed in the end!
They've always nearly been next day or day after with me. I've even had them come out same day on a few occasions.

Never used the Drayton system, although it looks quite nice. If you've got Smart TRVs everywhere you wouldn't need a roomstat.

Fitted a lot of EvoHome system which is my go to for Smart TRVs. Lot of manufactures have caught up now though.

They've always nearly been next day or day after with me. I've even had them come out same day on a few occasions.

Never used the Drayton system, although it looks quite nice. If you've got Smart TRVs everywhere you wouldn't need a roomstat.

Fitted a lot of EvoHome system which is my go to for Smart TRVs. Lot of manufactures have caught up now though.
Cheers for this. The Drayton seems to do what I want and is economical compared to the others so I’ll give it a whirl.

In my shoes then, you’d see no reason to overlook the Ferroli? I hate buying boilers and cars… As long as they’ll honour the warranty in a timely fashion then there shouldn’t be too much to lose. Famous last words…

Cheers for this. The Drayton seems to do what I want and is economical compared to the others so I’ll give it a whirl.

In my shoes then, you’d see no reason to overlook the Ferroli? I hate buying boilers and cars… As long as they’ll honour the warranty in a timely fashion then there shouldn’t be too much to lose. Famous last words…
Like I said, really can't comment on the Blue Helix as never fitted one. We moved away from Ferroli because they stopped the Modena, and Main brought out their Eco Compact range. Which for the money is a cracking boiler.

Personally if it was me (I was in the same situation) I'd sacrifice the Modulation and go for the Baxi/Main (Same HEX as the Vaillant Range).

Reply to Choosing Combi with Modulation and Smart Controls in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello, I am seeking some advice, I have a POTTERTON PROMAX 28 COMBI Boiler and I noticed yesterday that the water around the house is no longer warming up. The heat exchanger has been changed 6 months ago, so I do not believe it is that. Does anyone have any ideas on what it could be? Thanks
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
I want to reconnect some outbuildings to an existing water supply. The supply pipe is old 22mm MDPE and buried for a fair distance so not going to dig it up and replace it 😬. Question is can I use normal 22mm plumbing push-fit connectors to make the connection as finding 22mm MDPE fittings...
Replies
Views
Hi All I have a leak coming from within my Mira Elite QT shower. It seems to be flowing from behind the switching Control. Any ideas what could be causing this leak. Already Changed the Pump Elbow as one of the clips had popped which was causing a second small leak, Any idea? Is it time to buy...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock