Search the forum,

Discuss Choice of Boiler? Please Advise! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

amit

Hello Everyone,

I have been looking through the forum and need some help in making the right choice of boiler. I have tried to read the older posts, but still feel unsure of the best choice.

I have a standard 3bed house
7 rads
1 Mixer bar thermo combi shower
Current Boiler: Halstead Finest Gold (D rated)

ScreenShot010a.jpg
screenshot010a.jpg
Link to my current boiler spec; http://img404.imageshack.us/i/screenshot010a.jpg/

My choice of boiler to be fitted was: Vaillant Ecotect Plus 831

However it seems, through the scheme I can only have these three to choose from?

1. Vaillant Ecotec Pro 28
2. Worcester junior 28i
3. Ideal Logic 35

Now, I really want advice as to which boiler will be more reliable but also performance as to; how my mixer shower will perform?

I tested the water flow out of my shower head;

Set at 20c (coldest setting): 12 ltrs per min
Set at 35c: 8 ltrs per min

All your help will be really appreciated and if you require any more info just let me know and I will post back.

Kindest Regards, Amit

Last edited by a moderator:
personally I would not fit any of them and the last one is junk but comes with a 5 year guarantee, why would you put anything else other than a 5 year guarantee for the same price remeha broag from HSP or viessmann

Out of the three Id fit the vailliant 28pro, I fitted a 24 pro and the internals etc looked identical to its more expensive 824 brother, just cheaper display and controls. They will all satisfy your hot water req for a shower.
The 35kw Logic might be a bit too big for your needs.

Whatever you do steer clear of Halstead. I had their Eden CBX 32 installed at a cost of 1000.00 for the unit alone in March 08, I am now sitting in my front room with my wife and 6 month old son with electric heaters 48 hours after the unit packed up for the THIRD time waiting for it to be fixed. Sourcing of replacement parts is impossible making repairs even harder. Try to get one that has spares available over the counter that don't have to be ordered! I would never purchase one again!!!!!

Worcester back up is superb to my knowledge, so that would be my choice, with Vaillant a close second

As said above, the worcester back up is second to none if you do get any problems, however thats a slightly pesamistic reason for going for that boiler. saying that its the only one of the 3 that ive had dealings with, just be aware its worcesters answer to a "contract" boiler and doesnt give independant control of the hot water. ie the temp of the hot water is preset and is what it is!

nah none of them,potterton performa,but be quick a reliable boiler waves good buy in January due to bull crap nox regs

Stick with your first choice of the Vaillant, much the same as the 831 except for a single speed pump, no built in filling loop & a slightly less pretty facia. Also look for an approved installer who will be able to give a 5 year warranty on that boiler. Above all avoid the Ideal at all costs !

Fit the Ideal logic + 5 Year Warranty fittted about 12 this year mainly the 30 Kilowatt model had no problems with any of them happy customers 5 years peace of mind

ive got the worcester 28i junior in my house works fine no trouble ,m8 fitted it 3 yrs ago never missed a beat and my condesate is inside so no freezing only thing with them is hot water is set so no adjustment like cdi, if i didnt have this fitted ad agree with gas man and go with the potterton wouldnt touch ideal full stop, parts 2 dear when go wrong, valliant ok but had few pump problems over last few yrs

everyone has their own choice but I think the free 5 year labour and parts has to be the first thing to consider, secondly reliability ,thirdly parts and prices
Vaillant charge alot for parts,charge 60 pence a minute for their technical line, they also try to steal the installers customers offering them a yearly contract, now that is what I call loyalty , So why anyone would install them I dont know.

tbh baxi/ptterton are also cheap for parts but they also try and steal my custards after the 2 or 5 years (depending on boiler) i have really given them some aggro over this

i like pottertons but dont install them mainly repair them, it is rubbing salt into the wound trying to nick your customers, something which they do offer is a one off fix for ÂŁ330 which i had done recently for an old customer ,the heat exchanger split filling the boiler full of water and filling the gas meter full of water ,i would dread to think how many parts the guy had to replace ,defo value for money

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Choice of Boiler? Please Advise! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I have recently fitted a thermostatic external mixer shower in my bathroom. The problem is that when it is set to the highest possible temperature its only luke warm at best. The hot water in my house is generated from a combi boiler which should be able to deliver a hot water flowrate of...
Replies
Views
As the title says. I have been going round in circles deciding what to buy or get fitted (with a raft of various advice).....the short story (so far). I have an old Combi boiler needs replacing and, I am having a new bathroom installed in October but, I want to improve the all round shower...
Replies
Views
Hi, Any help, advice or personal experience appreciated. We are supplied by a lead pipe but on a shared supply. I am about house 4 out of a run of 6 or 7. When tested by Affinity Water no other houses seemed to be drawing water. If you were to run a hose and another house draws water the...
Replies
Views
B
I currently have a single lever mixer on my bath being run off a combi boiler which is driving me spare. When using the tap I can get a reasonable temperature but when I switch to shower its either scalding hot or luke warm, after about 2-3 minutes the hot water cuts out and its freezing cold...
Replies
Views
Mike Jackson
M
L
Hi Please could I get some advice from all of you who will no doubt be much more experienced than I am. My situation is as follows: I currently have what appears to be an Ideal System Boiler (which was fitted around 5-6 years ago I think), which has pipes leading up to the attic where a...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock