Search the forum,

Discuss Checking advice given re burst galvanised pipe in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

A galvanised pipe on our property burst and water was seeping up to ground level. We dug and found where it burst [it's in the garden but the pipe eventually shoots off under the deck and house], called in a plumber who said he couldn't fix it that day due to other work but temporarily stopped the leakage using a tap fitting. He now reckons he has to dig up the entire line of piping right back to the main and replace it with copper piping. He hasn't given any reason for this and we suspect he's just trying to rip us off because he's also trying to convince us to also replace our hot water system which is working fine. Is there any obvious reason why he could not simply cut out the broken part of the pipe and replace it? Someone suggested that maybe galvanised pipes are not to standard and therefore can't be used. The house in located in NSW, Australia.

Maybe he can’t thread and tap the galv line ?

One reason why you might want to replace the entire length is if the pipe is corroding internally. The leak could be a symptom of that and, if so, is going to be the first of many. Another might be that the current pipe is undersized for your property. Another might be local regulations. (I have no idea what regs apply in Aus.)

He hasn't given any reason for this and we suspect he's just trying to rip us off

TBH, you should get another plumber who you do trust. If that's how you feel you're never going to be happy with the current guy.

One reason why you might want to replace the entire length is if the pipe is corroding internally. The leak could be a symptom of that and, if so, is going to be the first of many. Another might be that the current pipe is undersized for your property. Another might be local regulations. (I have no idea what regs apply in Aus.)

TBH, you should get another plumber who you do trust. If that's how you feel you're never going to be happy with the current guy.
If he's going to replace it I'd have thought MDPE would be a better bet than copper.

I agree that if the galv has failed in one place, it'll soon fail somewhere else. It would seem pointless to spend money on a repair that is likely to prove temporary.

Having said that, I would be concerned about using copper for supply pipe if the internal pipework of the house is galv (but perhaps the internal plumbing is already copper or plastic?).

Maybe he can’t thread and tap the galv line ?
I did some googling and I think I understand. Yes, quite possibly he can't get a thread on the existing pipe.
[automerge]1591175111[/automerge]

Yes, I think it is corroding so I see that in the long run it is probably better to replace it. We used to have a wonderful plumber but he's now a building inspector. Unfortunately there aren't many plumbers in the area so it's slim pickings but I'll call someone else out, see how we go.

Last edited:
I too did a quick google and I know its different regs in different states but one of the water companies says if galvanised outdoor or indoor if leaks and corroded replace with copper of plastic

It must be an awfully old plumbing system to have galvanized pipe still operational.
Trying to repair the existing line, with cutting threads into it, to replace a section is a monumental task.
( I have some pipe threading tools - somewhere )

It would be worth getting the mains replaced, but as for the hot water service replacement, if it ain't broke - don't fix it.

You could either use copper or poly pipe, it will end up costing roughly the same.

As for Regs, I don't think there are any regulations about not using galvanized pipe - but no one would.

Your hot water service, is it mains fed or a gravity system?
That may be the reason he wanted to upgrade the hot water service

Reply to Checking advice given re burst galvanised pipe in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
I want to reconnect some outbuildings to an existing water supply. The supply pipe is old 22mm MDPE and buried for a fair distance so not going to dig it up and replace it 😬. Question is can I use normal 22mm plumbing push-fit connectors to make the connection as finding 22mm MDPE fittings...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock