Search the forum,

Discuss Checkatrade changing telephone numbers in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Millsy 82

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Anybody else a member of checkatrade? Have they changed your telephone number?

I thought it was odd that the phone calls Had checkatrade said before being able to answer.

Am I right in being fuming about this I pay over a grand a year to this lot to advertise MY details and they have changed them to there own "secure number".

Apparently we were given the choice but when you renew you wont be given a choice and will have to have all your calls pass through them I'm assuming so they can double the price yet again!

Managed contacts. All calls go through checkatrade. Supposed to screen out spam calls etc.
Personally think it's a way of either grabbing the juicy jobs for homeserve or for them to count your calls to put up costs.
Been a lot of debate about it on facebook. A lot of very unhappy people.
You cant use your phone number, email or sign written van (with contact details) on anything visible on the checkatrade web site.

There was talk of opting out but by paying a large premium. But the jist now is that you get managed contacts whether you like it or not

I have managed to opt out but I've been told that when I renew in November I wont have the option.

I said I dobt want them doing it as they are using the data to up my costs they said they are collecting the data for us so we know how many calls etc we are getting and whether they are from mobiles or landlines :D Like I need to know that.

Theres been a lot of tooing and froing on the managed contacts.

The group on facebook is called 'Concerned Members of Checkatrade'

Theres been a lot of tooing and froing on the managed contacts.

The group on facebook is called 'Concerned Members of Checkatrade'

Thank you I will rejoin facebook purely for this as I am not happy at all.

No problem. I had a quick look on facebook to get the name right of the group. One guy just answered his phone and heard the checkatrade jingle and was asking why. He's been moved into managed contacts and they didn't even tell him.

Apparently it affects seo for web pages and theres concern over data protection issues.

No problem. I had a quick look on facebook to get the name right of the group. One guy just answered his phone and heard the checkatrade jingle and was asking why. He's been moved into managed contacts and they didn't even tell him.

Apparently it affects seo for web pages and theres concern over data protection issues.

I heard the jingle and just thought they must of had a button on the website I didnt think they would of changed my number and my email.

My problem is I still get over 50% of my work through checkatrade and cant really survive without it.

We are in the process of setting up our awesome directory and you can list your business for free with your phone number, web address and photos! You can list yourself here:

These listings rank in Google, and @Dan is going to work his magic to get them super ranking.

Have a look at the tilers directory to see what he has done so far!

Wow this is a massive change in business model. That's a whole different business!

What stops them selecting who they send work to?

Exactly when will they stop. Will they eventually take all the phone calls on our behalf to make sure they are not scam calls and to make sure they are not time wasters.

I have spent so much effort building up my score and now I feel like I'm going to have to start again.

My problem is I still get over 50% of my work through checkatrade and cant really survive without it.
You absolutely need to diversify your sources of work. At that level of dependency Checkatrade basically control your business. There have been lots of good suggestions on 'sales and marketing' and 'grow my business' on this site; spend an hour or two with the 'Search' box.

You absolutely need to diversify your sources of work. At that level of dependency Checkatrade basically control your business. There have been lots of good suggestions on 'sales and marketing' and 'grow my business' on this site; spend an hour or two with the 'Search' box.

I see now that I've put all my eggs in 1 basket.

I'll be honest I'm a plumbing and heating engineer and I like to think a good one not a businessman and I was and still am getting plenty of work through checkatrade so didnt bother doing anything else.

I'll be honest I am thinking of leaving the trade as I really really cant be bothered anymore, it just feels like everyone is out there to screw the engineers over. If you work for a company they want to own you and work you to within an inch of your life if your self employed you have companies trying to take everything off you and seemingly in a legal way. What's the incentive to stay in the trade.

Last edited:
To be fair im still on checkatrade but most of my work is now repeat customers.
What i have noticed with them is that they are pushing to get more trades on board. Where i live if you have 6 plumbs on it then its crowded.
Slowly making moves to fudge it off now

Around me I'm 1 of the 4 that are pretty much taking most things. For breakdowns I seem to be the one to call. But there are quite a few on there.

I'm going to now start focusing my efforts towards other avenues instead of carrying on being stupid and putting all my effort into checkatrade

Around me I'm 1 of the 4 that are pretty much taking most things. For breakdowns I seem to be the one to call. But there are quite a few on there.

I'm going to now start focusing my efforts towards other avenues instead of carrying on being stupid and putting all my effort into checkatrade

Do you hand cards out to the customers that use you off check ?

Do you hand cards out to the customers that use you off check ?

As in just an ordinary business card. I didnt but I am now everytime.

And making a point of saying that the number on checkatrade is not mine and that I am trying to get my number back on.

As in just an ordinary business card. I didnt but I am now everytime.

And making a point of saying that the number on checkatrade is not mine and that I am trying to get my number back on.

Just say this is your direct number ;)

If you do change a few rads give them a personalised bleed key also you can get personalised trvs / tops

Just say this is your direct number ;)

If you do change a few rads give them a personalised bleed key also you can get personalised trvs / tops

What I worry about saying this is my direct number etc is what would a scam artist/ rogue trader say? I think by them having a different number it makes us look dodgy, what checkatrade is meant to be against.

Your first mistake, every trades person should always give out a business card to new customers ...word of mouth referrals are so important.

I get about 90% of my business from repeat and referral business .

As I've said a couple of time I'm a good plumber still need a lot of work on my business side. :D

What I worry about saying this is my direct number etc is what would a scam artist/ rogue trader say? I think by them having a different number it makes us look dodgy, what checkatrade is meant to be against.

TBH i doubt people will think that you might get one but that’s with anything

I definitely did not get information about this from checkatrade before they changed my phone number i would like to see the email that checkatrade sent to its members has anyone else still got it

Where I am was their original trial area so I've been on managed contact for well over a year.
I complained but was told I was the minority and that its a service for me (lol).
I've downgraded to affiliate membership so I don't appear on searches but phone is noticeably quieter than usual.
Currently working on marketing online but its much more crowded and still not taken off.
Been ticking over nicely on repeat custom but I've got nothing booked in today so will probably have to renew as if this happens 4 times then I'm out of pocket.
They've definitely moved into the trade of exploiting their members and will be sacking off as soon as I can!

Can you please send me a copy of the email that you sent me about changing my number to a secure contact number

I see now that I've put all my eggs in 1 basket.

I'll be honest I'm a plumbing and heating engineer and I like to think a good one not a businessman and I was and still am getting plenty of work through checkatrade so didnt bother doing anything else.

I'll be honest I am thinking of leaving the trade as I really really cant be bothered anymore, it just feels like everyone is out there to screw the engineers over. If you work for a company they want to own you and work you to within an inch of your life if your self employed you have companies trying to take everything off you and seemingly in a legal way. What's the incentive to stay in the trade.
keep your chin up

Ive not been on for a few years but just got a 6 month free offer on chuckatrade. The quality of leads is noticeably poorer than when I was paying a few years ago - lookers not buyers, wanting cheap, wasting time. I wouldn't pay for a listing.

Reply to Checkatrade changing telephone numbers in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock