Search the forum,

Discuss Chasing in rad drops in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

GasmanxxxR1

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
What are my options......

I have only ever surfaced mounted pipes on full installs.

I have a client in a 1930s bungalow who wants a new heating system with all rad drops chased into the wall.

So what do you guys do...... 10mm covered copper and just bend it out of the wall to the rad valve? Plastic pipe? micro bore or 15mm?

What i most need to know i suppose is how to bring the pipe out of the wall neatly with no joints in the wall

Cheers

Chase down the corners of the wall in 10mm then go behind the skirting boards if they have them ?

is it a wooden floor? if so come down with main F+R in a cupboard then either lift the boards and notch/hole to the rads or if there is a deep void under the joists crawl under there and clip pipes to the under side of the joist and pop straight up into the rads. If the floors are concrete probably best to get a decent wall chaser and vac and come down in 10 mm plastic ala new builds. The 10 mm plastic comes down inside the walls into a wall plate then the pipe is bent straight into the speedfit rad valves. (Lots of making good)

Radiator_Connections.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Bosh in 15mm, wrap in denso..... Watch the oil leach through walls .... Or use 10mm concealed. Ty

10 mm plastic ala new builds. The 10 mm plastic comes down inside the walls

are you actually advocating plastering in plastic pipe into the wall chase?

10 mm plastic ala new builds. The 10 mm plastic comes down inside the walls

are you actually advocating plastering in plastic pipe into the wall chase?

Did this years ago with an old place with exposed joists, no void to run the pipes in so chased the walls from the roof space down to the first and ground floor rads. Used metal capping and plastered over.

do it quite regular. dont always bother with capping either, drops in corners are unlikely to get a nail through em by some custard trying to hang a picture of aunt doris. different story if they are further out from the corner. i always wrap insulation tape round and round in a spiral to allow a bit of room for expansion. if you plaster straight over a bare pipe it creaks a lot when you fire up the heating

is it a wooden floor? if so come down with main F+R in a cupboard then either lift the boards and notch/hole to the rads or if there is a deep void under the joists crawl under there and clip pipes to the under side of the joist and pop straight up into the rads. If the floors are concrete probably best to get a decent wall chaser and vac and come down in 10 mm plastic ala new builds. The 10 mm plastic comes down inside the walls into a wall plate then the pipe is bent straight into the speedfit rad valves. (Lots of making good)

View attachment 17893

Hell Paul where do you get rads like that??? plumbing by LEGO, PFP Push Fit Plumbers, they do push fit training in B&Q on Sunday now, you will also get a CPD certificate or a NVQ...

Bosh in 15mm, wrap in denso..... Watch the oil leach through walls .... Or use 10mm concealed. Ty
my parents moved in a bungalow last week,solid floors spent all day today chopping floor laying in copper rad pipes,will be wrapping denso ,old skool

my parents moved in a bungalow last week,solid floors spent all day today chopping floor laying in copper rad pipes,will be wrapping denso ,old skool

Paul,

Send some photos, that's not old school, I never did that...:cuss:

Ive always done it in 10mm plastic running down the center of the rad, tails out below and of to either side and i also run silver tape over pipes so they can be detected after walls been made good.

Last edited:
10mm copper chased in the corners and wrapped, make sure there deep enough though cos the plaster will crack otherwise.

10mm copper chased in the corners and wrapped, make sure there deep enough though cos the plaster will crack otherwise.

used to 1st fix in 10mm copper,in the mid 90,s before plastic came in ,bought a mini bender at the time saved the gaffer a fortune in elbows,the tight git never paid me back for the bender,your right it can crack the skim a bit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Chasing in rad drops in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock