• Welcome to PlumbersForums.net (formerly UKPlumbersForums.co.uk). Please login with your usual username and password. Or register for free if you haven't already done so.

Discuss Channelling pipes in a brick wall in the Bathrooms, Showers and Wetrooms area at PlumbersForums.net

B4rrett

Reaction score
We are in the process of buying a new home and the bathroom is tiny which is the only downside the the property. It currently has a shower cubicle, toilet and sink. The dimensions are 1700mm x 1610mm. We are looking to rip out the entire contents and fit a standard bath along the 1700mm wall which will leave literally no room to pipe a concealed thermostatic mixer shower above.

My question is...is it possible to channel the pipes within the wall and also channel the concealed mixer? Dont worry my DIY skills dont extend this far so I will be employing a plumber but just wanting to know my options before we move in.

Ideally I would like to conceal the pipes and mixer then have a overhead rainforest head coming out of the ceiling. I believe the wall that the pipes would need to be channelled into are a standard brick construction, the house was build in the 1930's

I would really appreciate some advice on this.

Ben-gee

Plumber
Reaction score
Yes, we do this all the time.
Just have to be wary about the depth required to conceal the valve, some are too deep for this construction but most will be ok.
Have you looked at digital showers? All the ‘plumbing’ would be in the loft above and just the controls in the bathroom - these are electronic so only a small data cable needs to go in the wall no pipes.
Talk to your bathroom installer about this option.

Rob Foster

Reaction score
Yes, we do this all the time.
Just have to be wary about the depth required to conceal the valve, some are too deep for this construction but most will be ok.
Have you looked at digital showers? All the ‘plumbing’ would be in the loft above and just the controls in the bathroom - these are electronic so only a small data cable needs to go in the wall no pipes.
Talk to your bathroom installer about this option.
We have fitted these and can only report happy customers, one must be at least 7 years and still running. They also offer incorporated a temperature lock which prevents too hot water esp. if you have little people who might fiddle with controls. Centralheatking

OP
B

B4rrett

Reaction score
Thanks for the quick response guys its eased my mind that we can still have a shower over the bath which was my main concern with space being very tight.

I've had a look at the digital showers online and think it's the way to go, the property has a combi boiler so water pressure shouldn't be an issue. I love the idea of a bath overkill outlet to fill the bath and found one that ticked all the boxes(see below). Do you have any experience with this make or waste fillers in general. Again thanks for the advice.

Britton Contemporary 2025 Bath Shower Digital Shower System With Ceiling Square Fixed Head & Waste Filler

Rob Foster

Reaction score
Thanks for the quick response guys its eased my mind that we can still have a shower over the bath which was my main concern with space being very tight.

I've had a look at the digital showers online and think it's the way to go, the property has a combi boiler so water pressure shouldn't be an issue. I love the idea of a bath overkill outlet to fill the bath and found one that ticked all the boxes(see below). Do you have any experience with this make or waste fillers in general. Again thanks for the advice.

Britton Contemporary 2025 Bath Shower Digital Shower System With Ceiling Square Fixed Head & Waste Filler
You might even get a big shower head coming out of the ceiling, they really drench
centralheatking

Svenedin

Reaction score
If you didn't want to channel pipes into the wall or found it impractical you could just fit an exposed thermostatic bath filler shower mixer with a rigid riser to a large shower head. The Burlington Tay can be deck mounted (fitted to the tap holes in the bath) or comes as a wall mounted model. I have the wall mounted model but just with a shower handset for washing hair in the bath, not with a riser. It isn't concealed which seems to be what you really want but it may save quite a lot of work.

Last edited:

Forum Sponsors

Corgi - Plumbing Supplies for Professional Plumbers

Plumbase - Plumbing Parts for Plumbers

Underflor Heating Systems by uHeat

Wetroom Supplies by Wetroom Store

Nicobond - Wetroom and Tiling Supplies

Corgi - Plumbing Supplies for Professional Plumbers

Top Bottom