Search the forum,

Discuss Changing washer problem in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

jhatter

The hot tap in my bathroom sink needs a new washer and I now have a problem I can't resolve. Please excuse the lack of technical terms below - as you will guess I am not a plumber.

I removed the plastic 'Hot' disc to reveal the screw on the tap head. I tried turning it both ways but it would not shift, so I put some WD40 on it. Tried turning with more force, but it still would not shift, so I applied more WD40 and waited a short while. I still cannot get the screw to turn and now I have had so many goes I fear I have damaged the brass screw head beyond repair.

What's my next move please?

The only way forward I can see is to saw the tap handle in half to reveal the screw and the brass contraption which has the washer at one end.:confused:

Hmmm does the tap head look like a cross ? if so turn the tap anti clockwise as much as possible and there should be another section that can be unscrewed turn this the same direction to reveal the brass section, this with a spanner can be removed, or after the screw comes out of the top you just have to lift it ....they can be very stuck on though.

Thank you for your quick response.

Unfortunately turning anti-clockwise doesn't reveal anything as there is a sheaf/cover below the tap that obscures the brass part.:confused:

Yes the sheath should be screwed in, turn it with some grips covered in cloth

jhatter, as john says, turn off water and turn on tap (fully anti-clockwise) and then unscrew or pull up sheath (depending on tap sometimes the sheath is just pushed down) once you have done that use either an adjustable spanner or water pump pliers (depending on how much room to fit spanner) to grab brass body under sheath and use another spanner or pliers on spout (opposite way to stop tap turning in basin and causing leak on tap connector) and undo body.
Or call plumber as it may not be as expensive as you think.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Changing washer problem in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock