Search the forum,

Discuss Changing concealed shower valve in the Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi

I just wanted to ask if turning the mains water off will be enough to allow me to clean / change an existing concealed shower thermostatic cartridge without any flooding.

I have a Glow Worm condensing boiler with a cold water tank in the loft and and hot water cycling in a cupboard (first floor).

I had a new (first floor) shower fitted around 15 months ago and the temperature knob has stiffened up and I'm finding it difficult to turn.

We live in a soft water area and my other two showers which are similar and around 10 years old have no problem.

It looks like I will have to try and clean the cartridge (although I don't think it will be dirty in any way) or change the cartridge for a new one. The plumbing company who installed the shower have asked me to clean it first and just turn off the mains water supply
and said that there maybe a little water residing in the pipes but not much more.

(The unit has been tiled over so if I need to get access to the isolation valves I will have to remove a small radiator on the other side of the wall to gain access).

IMG_4495.jpeg

IMG_4494.jpeg

IMG_4496.jpg

You would need to turn both gate valves off one for hot water the other for balanced cold or the mains stop tap depending if it’s off the mains

Hi. Thanks. I think hot water comes from the hot water cylinder and cold comes from the cold water storage tank in the loft. It maybe easier for me to gain access via the rear wall which has a small radiator attached with a screw on panel behind it to turn off the hot and cold water isolation switches

Would there much much involved to remove the radiator. Is it just turning off both sides and drain it ?

Aslong as the valves hold yes just turn off tray one side and drain the rad slowly

Reply to Changing concealed shower valve in the Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock