Search the forum,

Discuss Changing Cartridge in Shower Mixer in the DIY Plumbing Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi. I have Charlton Mixer Tap in my shower i.e. thermostat and water control. I need to change the cartridge in the tap as it is dripping badly. However, I'm really struggling to access the cartridge. The way to remove the tap appears to be to unscrew the chrome covering i.e. this will bring the actual tap 'turner' off with it (this is what I have to do with my matching Charlton mixer tap on the bathroom basin). However, I cannot make the unit turn no matter what. It seems to be seized up. There is no screw or grommet holding it place. Further, the surface is completely smooth chrome meaning it's really hard to find a tool that will grip it. I've used industrial rubber gloves that allow me to get a good purchase on it, but still I can't shift it. Any thoughts? I hope this makes sense. I've attached a photo with an arrow pointing to the collar/cap that needs to be unscrewed to bring the front off and expose the area of the cartridge that neds to be replaced. Thanks!

Attachments

• Charlton mixer tap.jpg
    Charlton mixer tap.jpg
    229.6 KB · Views: 11
If you’re sure it just needs turning, you need to get a better grip.

A strap wrench.

Or leather belt. Or rubber gloves under the belt.

You sure it doesn’t just pull?
Hi Timmy D. Thanks for your reply. I'll try what you advise.

Yes, it definitely unscrews and to the usual left. I have an identical unit in the ensuite and tried unscrewing this, just to confirm, and it does. So it seems the unit I'm having issue with is just seized tight. Would heat or something like WD-40 help do you think?
Many thanks for your help!

Reply to Changing Cartridge in Shower Mixer in the DIY Plumbing Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi All I have a leak coming from within my Mira Elite QT shower. It seems to be flowing from behind the switching Control. Any ideas what could be causing this leak. Already Changed the Pump Elbow as one of the clips had popped which was causing a second small leak, Any idea? Is it time to buy...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock