Search the forum,

Discuss Changing a sink plug - some basic questions in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi - this maybe a bit basic, but I have a clickable sink plug that is broken and needs replacing. The part is a BRISTAN, part number W BSN CLICK C.

See attached Image.
img.jpg

I found out this is now discontinued, and the new part needs the waste pipe to be changed as well. The new BRISTAN part code is W BASIN 08 C, as you can see here:

https://www.bristandepot.co.uk/plumbing/W_BASIN08_C.JPG

This is a different job to a simple like for like replacement, and I am wondering:

1. Are there any non BRISTAN parts that could just slot in, like the existing part?

2. If not, is it easy to remove the pedestal and change?

3. And to put a seal around the area I have arrowed, should I use LSX or something else?

Thanks,
Alex

Unlikely as they normally change the design

And you should be able to replace the slotted / click waste without removing the ped, be best to remove the trap to give you better access

Normally plumbers mate around the top face that sits/ seals to the sink

Thanks ShaunCorbs.

How would I remove the trap to get better access?
Hello and welcome to forum.

Either you could remove the pedestal a d gain better access to the trap or you will need to do it without removing it. It really depends on the installation a lot people seal the bottom either with screw or silicone as well between the top of the pedestal and bottom wash hand basin. You could then use a start knife to cut the silicone.

Is it easy to remove the pedestal... I couldn't see a way to pull it out.

And for the top seal in the basin... I read somewhere that LSX may permanently stick to or damage the china basin if used. As I have little experience in this area, is this true?

Sorry for all the questions... I'm learning lol

Is it easy to remove the pedestal... I couldn't see a way to pull it out.

And for the top seal in the basin... I read somewhere that LSX may permanently stick to or damage the china basin if used. As I have little experience in this area, is this true?

Sorry for all the questions... I'm learning lol
Use a Stanley knife ( or any other sharp knife ) cut the silicone at the bottom check if there is any silicone between the pedestal and the wash basin if not,
Go on your knees and put your should underneath the wash basin, lift the basin slightly ( BUT very gently ) you may be able to wiggle it out with small movements. I am pretty sure you could do it without damaging anything.

About LSX I haven't got much clue but you should be able to cut it and pull the pedestal towards you BUT GENTLY.

If you have got a very deep groove inside the basin where the pedestal sits tight on it you will need to either do it without removing it or removing the pedestal.

Thanks ShaunCorbs.

How would I remove the trap to get better access?

Unscrew it from the slotted waste and undo it from the pipe and lower it out

It is often a pig of a job, for to be just a new waste replacement.
Not much room in the pedestals and worse if the copper pipes are vertical. If pedestal can be removed, you will be lucky, but don't attempt to remove it unless basin is bolted or glued well to wall.
It is critical to also seal the waste below the basin.
If you need to remove basin, it becomes a plumbers job

You could also take the pedestal off and then place it on the side so that the basin will have a support.

Yes, it seems overkill to just replace a plug!

Are there any ways I could buy a new plug that would fit... That doesnt look cheap... And which doesn't involve removing pedestals etc

The top section should unscrew and pull out hopefully the other one will fit in its place

By "waste pipe" you probably mean waste fitting (the thread bit with flange on top).
I would think it highly unlikely to get parts for any of the clicker wastes after a few years, so unfortunately expect to replace the whole waste

By "waste pipe" you probably mean waste fitting (the thread bit with flange on top).
I would think it highly unlikely to get parts for any of the clicker wastes after a few years, so unfortunately expect to replace the whole waste

Yes, I meant waste fitting.

Are there better solutions to clickers... If I replace the waste fitting this time, I'd want something that can easily plug in and out if it needed to be replaced in the future

Yes, I meant waste fitting.

Are there better solutions to clickers... If I replace the waste fitting this time, I'd want something that can easily plug in and out if it needed to be replaced in the future

Clicker wastes seemed to catch on because they would work perfectly well from they were installed because they weren't the pop up wastes controlled by troublesome push/pull rods etc.
But reality is eventually either the seals or the spring part of the clicker waste fails and no parts available or certainly difficult to source. All this I predicted.
The old fashioned waste fitting, with the plug and chain is normally always serviceable by simply replacing the plug (metal or rubber) or chain. Only exception is if chrome finish ever became worn. Simple is best. :)

One point to remember is, if you did fit the old type waste with plug and chain, you will need the basin to be the type with the hole for the chain bolt. Or you need a plug that fits the waste that you lift out.
There is another type of basin waste where the plug part is incapsulated into the waste fitting and swivels open or closed with a push with your finger. Probably will also fail someday

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Changing a sink plug - some basic questions in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock