Search the forum,

Discuss Changing a radiator, to flush or not first in the DIY Plumbing Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

I have a rusty radiator in the bathroom, not worth repainting as there is already paint on top of rust. It will be straightforward for me to change myself, I can get an identical replacement Stellrad, which makes things easy. The water in the system has inhibitors in it and a Fernox TF1 has kept the system clean for years. Should I add a system flushing product and make sure it gets through every radiator before draining down? Having the Fernox TF1 would make this easy to do. The system will get new inhibitor when it is refilled.

If your system is as clean as you think no point but if you suspect your other rads are also corroded (internally) you might want to take the opportunity to try and remove any sitting corrosion.

If your system is as clean as you think no point but if you suspect your other rads are also corroded (internally) you might want to take the opportunity to try and remove any sitting corrosion.
In the 11 years since the system was filled, the magnetic unit in the Fernox has been taken out by me about 4 times. There has not been much in the way of rust on it ever, and not much general debris has drained from it. The inhibitor must have been working. Also in that time, there has been no need to bleed any of the radiators, so no hydrogen has been given off. It might well be just a waste of money and effort using a flushing agent, although I will have to add new inhibitor

Reply to Changing a radiator, to flush or not first in the DIY Plumbing Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Sorry if question already answered in previous posts, but I can't find a solution to the below: We recently moved house to a new home that has previously been extended. In one of the bedrooms that has been extended there are 2 radiators, one which looks like it was fitted when the...
Replies
Views
Oil boiler (now~15 years old) unvented system with 17 radiators. We moved in 5 years ago and I had to keep bleeding the same radiator. The bleed gas could be burned with a blue flame and the water was acidic (pH 5.5). Since then system has been chemically flushed (it was not too bad) and the...
Replies
Views
At beginning I would like to say Hello to all members and I would like to introduce mysel as novice DIY plumber. I managed to change radiator, top-up water and bleed it, also I would like to flush -replacing water in radiators in whole house, as it's 6 years old and water is stinky and yellow...
Replies
Views
Hi I have recently bought a house which is 17 years old. There was a small leak from one of the radiators So I took the pipe off and drained the radiator and the water was black/brown. I took the radiator off and flushed it out with a hose pipe out the garden but it's got me thinking and I...
Replies
Views
Hi all, First Post on here. I am hoping someone can help with the below. I have mounted 2 new rads to a recent extention we have had. The rads are not connected up to the heating system which is a combi fed system. I thought it would be good practice to clean, flush, refill and use an...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock