Search the forum,

Discuss CH wiring of timer/thermostat in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi I wonder if someone can help me with this.

I have an old but good enough for my purposes Baxi Back Boiler with a Randal 102 timer and a Honeywell thermostat.

I spend a significant amount of time out of the country in the winter and want to be able to control my heating via WIFI. Initially, I decided to replace the thermostat with a WIFI enabled thermostat supplied by a company called Moes (Chinese I guess).

However, during my research I realized that this unit was also a timer so I wondered if it was possible to replace the Randall 102 with this thus having a combined thermostat and timer which I could control remotely via WIFI. The fact that the thermostat is in the same location as the timer is not a problem as it would be not close to the actual boiler which is in another room.

I wrote to Moes asking them if it was possible that their unit could control both the boiler timing and thermostat. Their answer (in terms of wiring connections) is in the attached which contains both the wiring for the Randall and the Moes. However, it seems to me that their instruction wouls switch on the pump but NOT the boiler

Being cautious and being aware they want to make a sale I would be grateful if anyone with experience of CH wiring could look at the attachment and tell me if their suggestion should work. If not, would connecting the Randall terminal 1 to one of the Moes dry connect terminals work?

I am aware that thee Randal has a switch for hot water only or HW and CH but I don’t mind losing this as that can be controlled by the thermostat (ie setting the pump on temp at a low setting)

Thanks in advance for any help offered.

Attachments

• Combined 1.jpg
    Combined 1.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 14
Hi I wonder if someone can help me with this.

I have an old but good enough for my purposes Baxi Back Boiler with a Randal 102 timer and a Honeywell thermostat.

I spend a significant amount of time out of the country in the winter and want to be able to control my heating via WIFI. Initially, I decided to replace the thermostat with a WIFI enabled thermostat supplied by a company called Moes (Chinese I guess).

However, during my research I realized that this unit was also a timer so I wondered if it was possible to replace the Randall 102 with this thus having a combined thermostat and timer which I could control remotely via WIFI. The fact that the thermostat is in the same location as the timer is not a problem as it would be not close to the actual boiler which is in another room.

I wrote to Moes asking them if it was possible that their unit could control both the boiler timing and thermostat. Their answer (in terms of wiring connections) is in the attached which contains both the wiring for the Randall and the Moes. However, it seems to me that their instruction wouls switch on the pump but NOT the boiler

Being cautious and being aware they want to make a sale I would be grateful if anyone with experience of CH wiring could look at the attachment and tell me if their suggestion should work. If not, would connecting the Randall terminal 1 to one of the Moes dry connect terminals work?

I am aware that thee Randal has a switch for hot water only or HW and CH but I don’t mind losing this as that can be controlled by the thermostat (ie setting the pump on temp at a low setting)

Thanks in advance for any help offered.
Unless im reading it wrong, this would only replace the thermostat/programmer for the heating.
Hi thanks - yes for sure it's a thermostat BUT it also has a built in timer so I'm trying to be creative and explore if it can replave my old electro mechanical randal 102 and be a combined timer and thermostat. So I need to explore if the contact to switch on the pump can also fire up the boiler hence the question.

Reply to CH wiring of timer/thermostat in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

We have an all Vaillant setup - an EcoTEC Plus 637 system boiler plus wired VR720 and VR92 SensoCOMFORT controller, driving two CH zones plus DHW. It all works, but unfortunately we have found that the room stats are poorly located, and so the level of control is not what it should be. We had...
Replies
Views
I have bought an old house in rural France and it has an oil tank and Unical oil powered boiler (Italian I think). Its a beast of a thing but can't find any model info or any plates on it. I want to change the switch and thermostat to a digital wireless thermostat but I'm not sure what I can...
Replies
Views
Hi, I am trying to link a Hive heating & hot water dual channel receiver to an old Vaillant THERMOcompact VU GB 242/1 E system boiler. It has an internal programmer that is similar to a time switch 120 (plug in seven day programmer) This programmer is connect to a terminal strip using 345 (three...
Replies
Views
Hi, I have moved to house that has an Ideal Logic combi c24 with a Danfoss RX1-S receiver and a RET2000B - RF thermostat. However, the mechanical timer on the boiler is not working so I can't program the boiler to turn on and off at different times. Therefore, I bought a TP5001RF programable...
Replies
Views
Deleted member 120897
D
  • Question
Have a sytem boiler with unvented cylinder with 2 heating zones plus hot water in a house we moved into recently. To start with we were always amazed at the water pressure so on the odd occasion that the water was only luke warm it was easily forgiven, but over time we have come to realise that...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock