Search the forum,

Discuss CH radiator routing pipework from ceiling around joist tight to the wall in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi All,

1st post on here and hoping someone can help out.

Im in the early stages of a garage conversion; I've temporarily hung the vertical radiator where its planned to go and my plumber has routed a couple of feed and return pipes in ceiling; i've attached a couple of photos showing the location.

My issue is the routing of the pipework to the radiator as the joist is hard against the wall. Structurally its not correct to notch out under the joist so want to see if anyone had any suggestions whilst I still have a blank canvas? such as a dog leg joint etc?

Ive seen a similar thread on here but cannot view the photos or see the conclusion?

Hopefully this will be a common issue?

One extra thing to note; the red brick wall in the left of the photo is being removed so cannot mount the radiator there!

Many thanks

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2020-05-19 at 09.47.11 (1).jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2020-05-19 at 09.47.11 (1).jpeg
    123.3 KB · Views: 26
  • WhatsApp Image 2020-05-19 at 09.47.11.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2020-05-19 at 09.47.11.jpeg
    134.1 KB · Views: 27
By the time the block wall is rendered/plaster boarded or whatever this will not be an issue.

The pipes will stand off the finished wall anyway due to the clips.

Two ways if necessary (1) use stand-offs for the clips, (2) pull a small offset in the vertical copper pipe just below ceiling level. I personally would do (2) - but this is no problem for your plumber , worry about all the other stuff you have to do!

Isn’t the plasterboard lifter a god send when working on your own- I love mine!

Do you want the pipe work surface mounted or buried in the wall / not seen ?

thanks for the replies. ive been thinking which is never a good thing and may include a little stud work on the wall which can either allow for the pipes to be surface mounted closer to the joist edge or bury them behind the board....im still pondering!
The board lifter is a god send, the garage floor is 2.6 meters to ceiling level and with fire rated board they are heavy - for anyone boarding a ceiling forget the broom handle technique as this wins every day!

Reply to CH radiator routing pipework from ceiling around joist tight to the wall in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all, hoping there are answers out there to my small dilemma. A customer of mine wants 15mm radiator flow and return pipes chased into the block wall and pop out down the bottom. Problem is the joists are close to the wall so to start the chase in the block i will have to notch out the joist...
Replies
Views
Hi All, 1st post on here and hoping someone can help out. Im in the early stages of a garage conversion; I've temporarily hung the vertical radiator where its planned to go and my plumber has routed a couple of feed and return pipes in ceiling; i've attached a couple of photos showing the...
Replies
Views
J
I have an Arteform shower valve in my bathroom - top lever for the main shower head, middle for the handheld hose and bottom is the thermostatic control. The hot was not getting hot enough recently so (under instructions from the manufacturer) I removed the allen key valves bottom left and right...
Replies
Views
I've read it's generally around the 150mm mark, but I'm wanting to fit a particular style (see photo) in to a particular space that will only leave 100mm. I was just wondering if the relatively open structure of this style would give me any latitude in terms of gap between the floor and the...
Replies
Views
Hello I'm having new 15 & 22mm pipe routed from the basement boiler to 2 radiators on ground floor (directly above basement boiler) and 6 radiators on first floor. Each floor is 80sqm with ground floor ceilings removed and joists previously notched for access routes. Given the expense of...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock