Search the forum,

Discuss CH Pump Stalls when hot in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Gilray

My central heating pump works fine until the the heating/water has been on for some time (around an hour) and every thing has got nice and hot and then it stalls and refuses to start. Ive tried giving it a kick start by undoing the spindle cap and manually turning it but that doesnt work. I can cool it down with a damp cloth and it will eventually go again.

The Pump is a Circulation Pumps CP53 -

has anyone else had this problem?

Is there anything I can do to fix the pump or is a replacement job?

Should I fit the same one or would I be better off fitting (say) a Grundfos 15/50?

Sounds very strange, what makes you think it's the pump? Cooling it down could just be a coincidence.

Grundfos all the way.

A new pump should be fitted. "A" rated pumps such as the Grunfos Alpha must be fitted now. ( you can still get the 15-50 pump if the alpha is too expensive)

I just checked out grundfos website kozak and they're saying they're stopping the b rated pumps... So soon you'll only be able to buy the a rated, alpha and ups 2.. Is this true?

To the O.P

Have you got Thermostatic valves on All your rads?
Do you have a by-pass either manual (is it open) or Auto (is it working)?

The pump has 230V across it but is not running and will not start by turning spindle. Will start when cooled down.

New pump, treat yourself to a grundfos.

do a resistance check across pump when hot, probably breaking down on coils. Ive yet to meet the pump police enforcement team!!

My central heating pump works fine until the the heating/water has been on for some time (around an hour) and every thing has got nice and hot and then it stalls and refuses to start. Ive tried giving it a kick start by undoing the spindle cap and manually turning it but that doesnt work. I can cool it down with a damp cloth and it will eventually go again.

The Pump is a Circulation Pumps CP53 -

has anyone else had this problem?

Is there anything I can do to fix the pump or is a replacement job?

Should I fit the same one or would I be better off fitting (say) a Grundfos 15/50?

If its been in for an hour and then it stops are you sure it's not just that the system is up to temp.

If it had reached temp should be no 240v to pump unless pump overrun in which case it should still be running.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to CH Pump Stalls when hot in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello, my Mothers heating failed in the recent UK cold snap. I found the pump was stuck. I have a question about pump orientation. The existing pump flows downwards. The manual for the proposed replacement recommends that it should pump upwards. This would involve rearranging the flow &...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I have an old Combi boiler for which the heating has stopped working. The hot water is fine, and I think I've isolated the problem to the pump. The pump is a Grundfos Alpha2, and it has usually has two numbers, but it is instead showing two dashes ( -- ). I think the propeller isn't...
Replies
Views
I have a 2 pump hot water tank (Flomax 180L fitted in '94) in airing cupboard system with an Ideal classic boiler (downstairs next to an external wall) which for the most part seems to provide excellent hot water. The central heating also works fine - though sometimes I think the radiuators...
Replies
Views
M
Hi, Hopefully someone can throw some light on if this is a real issue or not. I have had this boiler for about 10 years, I noticed just recently that when the CH has been turned off that a couple of the rads closest to the boiler were slightly warm. When the boiler had demand to heat the DHW I...
Replies
Views
Good afternoon we have recently had a grundfos alpha2L 15-60 130 pump fitted to our central heating system and we're experiencing an issue. Once the pump is on its working fine but for the first "cycle" in the morning the "Power on" light comes on but the pump doesn't start. I have to then...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock