Search the forum,

Discuss CH output pipe touching PCV pipe? Combi in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Marcin

Adept
I am generally happy with the install, but I do not like that - should I moan in the morning? It is the combi CH output pipe.

20210617_224955.jpg

Moan! As the heat may eventually deform the pipe and will probably rub and make a tickng noise as it expands and contracts.

There is no obvious reason not to pull that bend a bit tighter and avoid the PVC pipe altogether.

Another who "dabs a bit in" on a Yorkie. Bit clumsy though, but not as bad as the one a few weeks ago.

Another who "dabs a bit in" on a Yorkie. Bit clumsy though, but not as bad as the one a few weeks ago.
Agreed. I've seen tidier, but I've also seen worse. However, if the OP is generally happy and what is there is watertight, what I see in this photo is not problematic except for the issue the OP has already raised.

Cheers guys! Is it a big faux pas to dab a bit of a solder for 150% certainty? Apart from esthethics, of course. With regards to the clumsiness, my installer was a small guy and he was struggling with bending 22mm :) I have had an idea of some lovely passovers but perhaps I watched too many James's videos with pristine layouts.

Cheers guys! Is it a big faux pas to dab a bit of a solder for 150% certainty? Apart from esthethics, of course. With regards to the clumsiness, my installer was a small guy and he was struggling with bending 22mm :) I have had an idea of some lovely passovers but perhaps I watched too many James's videos with pristine layouts.

Not a biggie, I do it myself (but try not to make it visibly "snot"). James is a real plumber but I think he's foremost a social media star. Good luck to him although I found the endorsements wearing and unsubbed.
Few of those guys show it when it goes wrong (and it does, whoever you are).
Your man wants to try a bit of cheater pipe to help him bend. I lost a lot of weight throgh illness a few years ago and had to do that.

Not too bad at all.
Bit of support on the pipe wouldn't go amiss and plan to have less sharp bend on the flexi.
Prime function of pipework - make water go where it should and stop it going where it shouldn't - you succeeded 👍

Unless he's dabbing in so much as to restrict the bore, I'd suggest it's a cosmetic issue.

Struggling with bending 22 - Does he weigh less than 8 stone?

I went from about 12 to 9 1/2 stone and had to put the handle on the floor and lean with nearly all my weight to pull a 22.

Not too bad at all.
Bit of support on the pipe wouldn't go amiss and plan to have less sharp bend on the flexi.
Prime function of pipework - make water go where it should and stop it going where it shouldn't - you succeeded 👍
Thank you - your comment is very encouraging!

This is a very temporary layout, for a temporary sink, while other jobs are being done before the kitchen arrives. I have noticed, that my previous permanent setup has had small valves for draining the kitchen tap flexis - something similar to the radiator balancing thingy. You could put a garden hose on the output (about 45 degree down) and a valve pin was square. Any idea how is it called? I went through the toolstation catalogue, product nr 50376

Self Cutting Drain Off Cock 15mm​

is similar, however, I do not need the entire thingy - just the drain bit. How is it called?

These fittings are a bit tricky to solder when hang pointing downwards, due to their weight - presoldered yorkshire fittings ( I decided to give these another try) did not help neither. I feel like everything was overheated, looks ugly, but... it holds tight the first time :)))

I think I have found a new hobby!

Attachments

• 20210624_165125.jpg
    20210624_165125.jpg
    312.8 KB · Views: 21
You should remove the innards when soldering stops the washer from being heat damaged. Someone beat me to it

Just need much less solder and will look allot better.
Slightly 'ovaling' fittings will hold them together when soldering, if you give pipe and fitting a little squeeze when making up then give a 1/4 turn they will hold themselves together.
I'd prefer a drain cock almost horizontal but if needed a bit of stripped coper wire would hold it together nicely.

These fittings are a bit tricky to solder when hang pointing downwards, due to their weight - presoldered yorkshire fittings ( I decided to give these another try) did not help neither. I feel like everything was overheated, looks ugly, but... it holds tight the first time :)))

I think I have found a new hobby!
Use your tape measure to support fitting.
Keep going Marcin. "Practice makes perfect"
You don't really need to add solder to a Yorkie (although many of us do) watch carefully for the thin line of solder to appear as you heat.

Attachments

• 20210627_085720.jpg
    20210627_085720.jpg
    219.2 KB · Views: 16
Neatness will come with time and experience

You should remove the innards when soldering stops the washer from being heat damaged. Someone beat me to it
I did as advised on the forum. These rubber gaskets would not survive the hellfire I subjected the fittings ;)
Just need much less solder and will look allot better.
Slightly 'ovaling' fittings will hold them together when soldering, if you give pipe and fitting a little squeeze when making up then give a 1/4 turn they will hold themselves together.
I'd prefer a drain cock almost horizontal but if needed a bit of stripped coper wire would hold it together nicely.

That's a bit like riping at home avocado fruit.. Wait a bit more, a little bit more, just a bit more... rotten.

Use your tape measure to support fitting.
Keep going Marcin. "Practice makes perfect"
You don't really need to add solder to a Yorkie (although many of us do) watch carefully for the thin line of solder to appear as you heat.

My jaw dropped - now I know why plumbers' tape measures have horns, instead of a simple angle.. Nice trick!

Neatness will come with time and experience
I hope so! Comments here are very encouraging! Thanks!

Reply to CH output pipe touching PCV pipe? Combi in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock