Search the forum,

Discuss CH drain valve won't shut in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Today I drained my CH/HW. This is a standard vented, pumped S plan with two electric valves, and I'm in UK.
I was lucky enough to have a drain valve underneath ground floor, relatively accessible, see pics:

IMG-20200518-172458.jpg

IMG-20200518-172505.jpg

However, upon refilling the system, I found out that that valve will rotate endlessly, and won't guarantee proper isolation: it's stripped.

I was thinking to add an isolating (aka service) valve past the old one, i.e., along the pipe in the bottom part of the images.
Something like this:
36879.jpg

Do you think that will work? Or is there a risk that the old valve will leak when the new one is shut? Do you foresee any other possible problem?

Any feedback welcome!

Thanks!

1. If you can, remove the handle from the old valve and rotate the spindle with a spanner / pliers / grips.
2. The type of valve you picture isn't really designed for central heating temperatures, but a good quality one would probably do.

1. If you can, remove the handle from the old valve and rotate the spindle with a spanner / pliers / grips.

It's not visible from the pics, but the old one is in a really unfortunate position: I'd probably need removing more subflooring.
Can I ask why you are suggesting that?

2. The type of valve you picture isn't really designed for central heating temperatures, but a good quality one would probably do.

Mmmm, the manufacturer's specification sheet says:

TECHNICAL DATA
Maximum working pressure16 bar
Maximum working temperature-20ºC to +90ºC

Should I trust that? It's above all to avoid having to find a plumbing supplier open during these times tomorrow :)

Where does the water drain too? Have you thought about a lever valve instead? a bit more money, but more reliable.
https://www.NoLinkingToThis/p/pegler-ball-valve-red-15mm/21289

1589871731355.png

Where does the water drain too?

Good question. I cannot see where the drain pipe goes (bottom of second pic). I assume it goes either to waste piping or directly outside. When I drained the system I couldn't see any wet spot either inside or outside :)

Wrt the valve yes, I know a full bore valve would be better. It's difficult to source things these days, though, and I wanted to finish, so I put what I had. I meant to replace it when I have time but, realistically, I won't keep my own promise :)
Hope the thing won't leak :)

If it isn't leaking now, it'll probably be OK. As already mentioned, a good quality lever ball valve would be preferable but if you've already fitted the valve you have and it's not letting by I'd leave it for now unless you are desperate to get back in there and do it!

Reply to CH drain valve won't shut in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello. My home's Rheem water heater is dripping from the drain valve. It is strange as it seems to sometimes spit out some water and then stop and then occurs again. I have a little plastic bucket to collect the water, probably about 3 cups of water in a 24 hour period. I was doing some...
Replies
Views
Hi All, I have a leaking drain valve off the CW inlet on a Range Cylinder. Am I right in thinking I have to empty the Cylinder below the CW inlet to change the valve? To isolate cold water to the tank to prevent refill, should I just lock off the 1 stop CW inlet or all 3 red stops? Turn mains...
Replies
Views
newbie184
N
Hoping somebody can help, So, in a nutshell… Standard 90s Westbury home – condensing boiler, pump, wall thermostat, etc etc... Normal, common or garden, run-of-the-mill British housing estate CH setup. Downstairs radiator, 1 of 2 in our living room, went cold one evening mid-November last...
Replies
Views
Hi guys. A couple of things. 1 am I better fabricating bends in 14 mm copper for my ch or are 90 degree elbows fine, ref flow, friction ect. 2 my ch boiler, non condensing is playing up, I can get hot water, but when heating is on pipes only get hot for 1st mtre or so? I can hear feel the...
Replies
Views
Hi, I need to drain my vokera 29 boiler in the attic as Im going away for 4 weeks at least to make sure there are no frozen pipes. In my small 3rd floor flat, I have a radiator in the front room and one in the hall (very close to each other), there is a drainage valve on one of these. My back...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock