Search the forum,

Discuss CH Boiler on single brick wall? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

I'm going to need a new boiler before too long, it's been in there for a while and really showing it's age.

My current boiler is 55k BTu and does only the central heating. (I also have a multipoint boiler that does my hot water. I KNOW I could have a combi, but I like it this way). The CH boiler is in the loft of my house on a gable end wall. It's always been up there as it was the only convenient location onto an outside wall.

But as boilers have become slimmer, I'm wondering if I could have one fitted in the unused fireplace of a bedroom. The advantages of this are that it is nearly underneath the existing boiler, and the pipes run down the wall by the chimney breast I want to put the boiler into. I've measured up and seen boiler that will easy fit into the builders opening with plenty to spare.

As far as I'm aware (looking at others in the house), the back face of the chimney is single brick and this is where the flue would go through. I could be reading it wrong, but looking at some of the specs for flue-kits for the boilers I've sized, they seem to suggest that going through single brick is too short. Is it possible, please?

Please note, I'm not intending DIY, I know I can't, but i like to know what's happening.

My opinion is any gas appliance no matter what should never be fitted in a bedroom.
At least they are noisy, and then there is the issue of co etc. never put them in places where people sleep or might nod off. Yea I know read the spec and its ok. I would never allow my loved ones to sleep in a room with a gas heating appliance in it or my customers
centralheatking. I have been in this game 40 years and to me that is set in stone

My opinion is any gas appliance no matter what should never be fitted in a bedroom.
At least they are noisy, and then there is the issue of co etc. never put them in places where people sleep or might nod off. Yea I know read the spec and its ok. I would never allow my loved ones to sleep in a room with a gas heating appliance in it or my customers
centralheatking. I have been in this game 40 years and to me that is set in stone

Wrong , they can be fitted in bedrooms they are room sealed .

Bear in mind that modern boilers are quiet but not "that" quiet, there is a recent thread somewhere about being disturbed by boiler noise in the bedroom while it is located in the attic.

1. Fitting to a single brick wall shouldn't be a problem. Probably won't be able to use the telescopic flue, but the installer should be able to cut the "ordinary" flue to length.
2. Personally don't like boilers in bedrooms, but primarily on noise grounds.
3. If you are going to do it:
3a. Make sure you fit a good quality Carbon Monoxide detector in the same room.
3b. Get the boiler serviced annually (proper service, not just a safety check). You'll need to do this anyway to keep whatever warranty is offered.

1. Fitting to a single brick wall shouldn't be a problem. Probably won't be able to use the telescopic flue, but the installer should be able to cut the "ordinary" flue to length.
2. Personally don't like boilers in bedrooms, but primarily on noise grounds.
3. If you are going to do it:
3a. Make sure you fit a good quality Carbon Monoxide detector in the same room.
3b. Get the boiler serviced annually (proper service, not just a safety check). You'll need to do this anyway to keep whatever warranty is offered.

Thank you.

It's an unoccupied 'spare' room, and also the boiler would be effectively in a cupboard which could be vented to outside via the existing chimney flue (as it is at present). I'll seek advice from the installer, but it looks a good option to me.

My Daughter has a boiler in an airing cupboard that is in the main bedroom. Same reason about access to an outside wall for the flue, it also backs on to the bathroom. They have never had issues with noise. I agree thought, get a good CO monitor in there and get it serviced properly every year, do not skimp on servicing. It might be unoccupied by you, but when you sell someone will use it as a bedroom so make sure it is installed correctly for everyones sake.

My Daughter has a boiler in an airing cupboard that is in the main bedroom. Same reason about access to an outside wall for the flue, it also backs on to the bathroom. They have never had issues with noise. I agree thought, get a good CO monitor in there and get it serviced properly every year, do not skimp on servicing. It might be unoccupied by you, but when you sell someone will use it as a bedroom so make sure it is installed correctly for everyones sake.
I was told by a highly technically aware engineer that we ought to be carefull with CO monitors. When we press the test button that just checks the battery, not the active chemicals that detect CO and they can become inactive after 3 years. The only real way to test them is with CO spray...I just chuck the ones in my properties every third September and get new ones. centralheatking

I was told by a highly technically aware engineer that we ought to be carefull with CO monitors. When we press the test button that just checks the battery, not the active chemicals that detect CO and they can become inactive after 3 years. The only real way to test them is with CO spray...I just chuck the ones in my properties every third September and get new ones. centralheatking

I agree, you cannot test the chemicals or sensor without CO spray. Some say the simple CO red dot card sensors are better and more visual.

I agree, you cannot test the chemicals or sensor without CO spray. Some say the simple CO red dot card sensors are better and more visual.
This is a very serious area in my opinion people think they are safe but in reality after
say 3 years they are in an unsafe zone. Its a press the button test world but NOT with
CO alarms...my properties are safe because if the above I wonder about others.
thank you for backing me up ...centralheatking

In fact I have engaged with my local MP on this subject, he is quite good at taking on
esoteric issues...his researchers are checking and if they accord with my opinion
then ...we will see what he will do...MP's love a solid winning cause. I will report back but in the meantime any CO alarm over 3 years might be unsafe . centralheatking

Reply to CH Boiler on single brick wall? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hey there I'm looking for some advice on a potential issue I'm having with an old back boiler. So just moved into my parents' old house with my partner, it's a terrace with back to back chimneys in the kitchen and the sitting room. The fireplace in the kitchen is the old back boiler that hasn't...
Replies
Views
60's ranch, with single bathroom. Tile over concrete slab. Toilet is about a foot from exterior brick wall. Vent pipe is in interior wall behind toilet. There's a concrete patio outside the bathroom, that extends about 10 feet from the wall. I'm considering adding an ADU in the back yard, and it...
Replies
Views
Hello, I am looking for a heating engineer to diagnose and resolve an issue with my Vaillant EcoTec 832 combi boiler. Job Location: Copeland Rd, London. Job Description: Problem: The boiler is not providing heating under normal conditions, although hot water supply is fine. Interestingly...
Replies
Views
Hiya - posting in this forum as I'm guessing this relates to my neighbour above's boiler, but I may be wrong so please say if so. Basically the attached pix and vids show my issue. I've got a small copper-looking pipe protruding from the wall above my rear tenement bedroom. It's dripping almost...
Replies
Views
J
Hi. I moved in to a new build home and 3 years later (after the builders warranty expires) the boiler is slipping off the wall at one side. This is putting pressure on the flue. Not something I’m happy with. Does anyone know the guidelines on how they should be fitted? I want to prove they...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock