Search the forum,

Discuss Ceramic sink tap knockout in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Phil

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
I fitted my first white ceramic sink the other day or it may have been porcelain and it required me to use a 10mm centre punch and chip my way through for tap hole, the hole came out jagged and not in one round piece like the knockout.
I didn't fancy drilling it as if the cutter slipped when bitting in I would have have to buy a new sink (£180). And drilling from the underside may have caused breakout.

Just didn't seem right as I had to really whack it hard to get through.

Not sure I'll be doing another, has anyone ever cracked one?

Not too much welly though

upload_2019-7-31_9-7-1.jpeg

It feels so wrong on ceramic, its like getting a toilet cistern lid and just bashing a hole out with a centre punch and hammer. Its probably the case that the hole is drilled to such a depth that it will never crack beyond the hole but I did get a large chip around the edge which the tap body only just covered.

A small ball peen hammer working out from a central hole is best and use some gaffer tape or insulation tape on top of the ceramic to help cushion the blows and help keep the glaze intact. Wickle taps gently working round and outwards is the way. Done some really expensive Italian stuff over the years certainly gets the adrenaline going..Rob Foster

Why a dislike Rob?? I’m not wrong?
In my opinion gently does it with a ball peen not all knock outs have a thin glaze and if you are going to do the combination basins which give you a choice of 1 or two either side a big bash can take the lot out...saw this once at the initial re furb of the Theatre Royal in Bath in 1982 ish ...not moi that guy was mortified ..
denso is quite good as a shock absorber
no criticism of you just my point of view
Rob Foster aka centralheatking

Few years ago, i'm there doing the plumbing for my dad's new kitchen.
Reluctantly tapping away at the ceramic sink and getting nowhere
The fitter tells me he'll do it. One wack and he smashed the thing. He was going to pay for the lot but my dad went half with him
I won't fit them unless the hole has been cut out

I fitted my first white ceramic sink the other day or it may have been porcelain and it required me to use a 10mm centre punch and chip my way through for tap hole, the hole came out jagged and not in one round piece like the knockout.
I didn't fancy drilling it as if the cutter slipped when bitting in I would have have to buy a new sink (£180). And drilling from the underside may have caused breakout.

Just didn't seem right as I had to really whack it hard to get through.

Not sure I'll be doing another, has anyone ever cracked one?
I use hole saw with thin ply template

Reply to Ceramic sink tap knockout in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hi All I have a leak coming from within my Mira Elite QT shower. It seems to be flowing from behind the switching Control. Any ideas what could be causing this leak. Already Changed the Pump Elbow as one of the clips had popped which was causing a second small leak, Any idea? Is it time to buy...
Replies
Views
I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16 mm copper water pipe. I exposed the pipe by removing a ~30cm section of the plastic sleeve and a ~10 cm section of the pipe around the hole. Several...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
I have had a look at previous posts and think I know the answer to this but just before I make it worse could I just check what you think about this one. Granddaughter just moved house and this valve decided to leak when it was closed. When open its fine. Normally I have repacked the gland on...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock