Search the forum,

Discuss Ceramic monobloc mixer tap valves/cartridges in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

I know it is not normal practice to use a replacement HOT water ceramic valve/cartridge in COLD water monobloc mixer tap. However, I have been told by my supplier that they are awaiting stock of the cold water valves/cartridges and apparently they come from China and could be some weeks before stocks arrive. My question is can I safely use a HOT water ceramic valve/cartridge in the COLD water side of my monobloc mixer tap or would there be implications doing this. Would welcome advice thank you.
I should add that this is a kitchen tap so cold is from mains.

Last edited:
You can use it, the difference with hot and cold valves is one opens left the opens right, so by using a hot valve on your cold the tap will just operate the opposite to what it should.

Thanks Craig I did wonder what the difference was. The supplier in question rpm is Wickes they fitted the kitchen so they have offered free replacement but have only got HOT valves and as I said its the COLD I want.

The only difference between a hot and cold ceramic valve is the colour of the rubber seal and the direction you turn the handle to open/close it, the temperature of the water doesn't matter.
You can take some valves apart and there will be a cross on the ceramic part that is furthest in, that part can be turned 90deg so that the valve operates in the other direction once reassembled.
To take it apart just remove the coloured rubber seal and tap the innards out making sure you note which bit goes where.

I bought a monobloc stainless steel tap from Wickes in 2007. There is nothing wrong with it apart from a leaking cartridge. We've tried but it has proved impossible to replace. The tap cost £200 new and the cartridges are no longer being made. I have never had to replace a faulty tap before and following the advice from others will not buy one with ceramic cartridges again. I have also had two plumbers try to fix the problem, so in all in all the cost of one small faulty part is considerable. I'm going back to Wickes to see what they suggest.

I bought a monobloc stainless steel tap from Wickes in 2007. There is nothing wrong with it apart from a leaking cartridge. We've tried but it has proved impossible to replace. The tap cost £200 new and the cartridges are no longer being made. I have never had to replace a faulty tap before and following the advice from others will not buy one with ceramic cartridges again. I have also had two plumbers try to fix the problem, so in all in all the cost of one small faulty part is considerable. I'm going back to Wickes to see what they suggest.

Sally you are wasting your time. Sorry.
Best you can do is look HERE.
You'll find someone who'll make two completely new cartridges for you with little issue ;)

Reply to Ceramic monobloc mixer tap valves/cartridges in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock