Search the forum,

Discuss ceramic disc cartridge removal in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a monobloc kitchen tap with separate hot and cold water ceramic disc cartridges. The H.W side drips. I tries to unscrew the recessed cartridge this evening, using a box spanner I bought for the, job but it won't budge. My wife had to hold the body/spout of the tap while I levered on the tommy bar but to no avail. When I look at videos showing cartridges being removed, sometimes by slim young women, they unscrew with little or no effort. Am I a wimp or does the H.W cartridge need to be unscrewed clockwise rather than anticlockwise? Being brass I would have thought the cartridge should have unscrewed without the need of excessive force.

You need a socket set, I know the tap you mean and it will laugh off the advances of a box spanner. Normal anticlockwise.

Both the cold & hot spindles screw out anticlockwise.
Sometimes they are very tight - they are often a metal to metal contact, despite the O ring seal.
A good grip on the tap body & usually no problem to remove spindle, but a deep socket or a set of pump grips to grip solid to the old spindle can be needed.
Don't believe those videos of handy persons fixing plumbing no bother, - that's why there is plumbers to do difficult jobs! :smile:

i had this exact tap last week dripping if its the same one!!! i also had to use a socket! a normal one worked fine , doesent have to be a deep one, i have put heat on some of them before as a last resort before changing the tap! aslo works fine and doesent normally damage the chromework!!! yes unscrewed anticlocwise as normal!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to ceramic disc cartridge removal in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, I can’t get one cartridge to budge when trying to replace in a mixer tap. The hot side cartridge was tight but removed with wrench comfortably, but cold side is so tight Ive burred the nut on the cartridge. Any advice on how else to remove the cartridge without damaging the mixer tap is...
Replies
Views
I am trying to replace the cartridge for a waterfall tap (mixer mono) for the bathroom sink, I have run into a problem whereby I cannot remove the cartridge as the usual 32mm nut is recessed and I cannot get to it. The tap is from screwfix ( NIAGARA WATERFALL BASIN MONO MIXER TAP) I have...
Replies
Views
Hello good people. I am trying to remove a cartridge from a Cooke and Lewis Berrow single lever mixer tap. I have removed the lever and the shroud which was a push fit not a threaded one. There is no securing nut to release the cartridge. Never seen this before. The cartridge must be held in...
Replies
Views
Hi, I had a leaking basin mixer tap. The Methven brand tap was leaking through the top. I was able to source 2 new replacement ceramic cartridges (1 as a spare). Both are identical to the old one. When I put either of the new ones into the tap & put it back together, the water won't turn on...
Replies
Views
Deleted member 120897
D
I'm baffled how to access a ceramic valve in order to replace it on this quarter turn sink tap. Here's the tap... I can remove the arm... ...and unscrew the collar to lift it up a little... ...and unscrew the fixing plate that secures the tap to the sink... ...but I can't get to the...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock