Search the forum,

Discuss ceramic cartridge circlip replacement in the Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi, My kitchen mixer tap has been leaking, and one of the faucet levers is wobbly. So I tried the replace the grub screw and 'clean the ceramic cartridge' thing in the hope that would sort it out, because I can't get to a hardware store to compare and buy a replacement cartridge/tap in person, and finding the right size cartridge just by measurement seems like a nightmare for a novice. So was hoping a clean/repair would work. However, I managed to lose the circlip, took all the precautions, but I swear it pinged right out of existence. What I'm trying to find out is whether the clip is indeed called a circlip or E clip, as it doesn't look anything like the ones I can source online. it looked like an M crimped in the middle (can see it clearly in any picture of a ceramic cartridge). I'd like to try and get a replacement if I can to properly finish my attempt at repair before I give up and call a plumber. Can anyone tell me what the correct name for it is? Or if a circlip/E clip of the right diameter would do the job even though they don't look the same?
Sorry so long winded.

1594903350526.png
1594903789187.png

There are two types but the but either will fit. Contact a merchants and explain what you want describe where it is and I am sure they will be able to find you a replacement.

I know that clip as a retaining clip but good luck finding what you want based on that. I cannot think of anywhere or anyone that sells such a thing on its own. You may get lucky at the plumber's merchants though if they are willing to take one of an old set of knackered valves or a set of demo taps or something.

It's really a new cartridge job although there is a DIY bodge that can be done and I have had success with it. The job it is doing is a simple one so in a pinch it can be replaced with a small piece of copper wire. I took a piece of wire from the unsleaved earth wire from some 1mm twin and earth cable, wrapped it around where the spindle retaining clip sits and twisted the ends together with a pair of needle nose pliers. It worked just fine and has continued to work fine as far as I know.

The real answer really is to change the cartridge though.

View attachment 44586View attachment 44587
There are two types but the but either will fit. Contact a merchants and explain what you want describe where it is and I am sure they will be able to find you a replacement.
Thank you, will do. Got the tap to stop dripping for now by using silicone gel on the disks, but will do as you suggest.
[automerge]1594922216[/automerge]
I know that clip as a retaining clip but good luck finding what you want based on that. I cannot think of anywhere or anyone that sells such a thing on its own. You may get lucky at the plumber's merchants though if they are willing to take one of an old set of knackered valves or a set of demo taps or something.

It's really a new cartridge job although there is a DIY bodge that can be done and I have had success with it. The job it is doing is a simple one so in a pinch it can be replaced with a small piece of copper wire. I took a piece of wire from the unsleaved earth wire from some 1mm twin and earth cable, wrapped it around where the spindle retaining clip sits and twisted the ends together with a pair of needle nose pliers. It worked just fine and has continued to work fine as far as I know.

The real answer really is to change the cartridge though.
That's great, thanks, I'll have to count my splines and measure up for a new cartridge :), I'll see if I can find someone/plumbers merchant who's got some old taps to try stripping first though. It's working at the moment, but probably better to be prepared. I'll try the copper wire trick, see if I can get it to work. Thanks again.

Last edited:
If you are going to replace the ceramic cartridge, take the cartridge and the head to a reputable merchants and they should be able to give you the correct one.

Thank you, will do. Got the tap to stop dripping for now by using silicone gel on the disks, but will do as you suggest.
[automerge]1594922216[/automerge]

That's great, thanks, I'll have to count my splines and measure up for a new cartridge :), I'll see if I can find someone/plumbers merchant who's got some old taps to try stripping first though. It's working at the moment, but probably better to be prepared. I'll try the copper wire trick, see if I can get it to work. Thanks again.
found this message by accident, searching for ages for those 'Copper Wire' Circlips? my Victorian style taps have them. Why aren't they available? Will Steel do ?

Reply to ceramic cartridge circlip replacement in the Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock