Search the forum,

Discuss Central heating zones in the Plumbing Zone area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi, any help/advice would be much appreciated. I live in a new build house (well 5 years this year) I noticed about 2 years that when I turned the heating on with the downstairs thermostat the main bedroom and en-suite heating would come on. With the upstairs thermostat the downstairs heating would come on plus 2 back bedrooms and bathroom. I used to put both thermostats on so never noticed any earlier. I spoke to the builders on site to look and they basically told me it had been plumbed wrong so the options were to either take up the floors so it could be sorted or the less invasive option to re-wire the thermostats. As a result my downstairs thermostat controls all downstairs 2 bedrooms and bathroom. Upstairs only controls my bedroom and en-suite. So any advice would be grateful as I’d like all the bedrooms on at the same time for nighttime. Would it be worth investing in more thermostats to control the bedrooms from upstairs?

I spoke to the builders on site to look and they basically told me it had been plumbed wrong so the options were to either take up the floors so it could be sorted...
In my opinion, the correct course of action will be for them to take the floors up, fix it, and then make good to the original standard. Take photos before during and after the work.

In my opinion, the correct course of action will be for them to take the floors up, fix it, and then make good to the original standard. Take photos before during and after the work.
Thanks for the reply. I have emailed them, awaiting a reply but just wanted to see what other options there were in case they said it’s after their 2 year warranty

What Chuck said is what they 'should' do.

If they blow you out then an easier option maybe having a look at the smart thermostatic radiator valve systems. May save a lot of disruption if you get no joy from the developers.

What Chuck said is what they 'should' do.

If they blow you out then an easier option maybe having a look at the smart thermostatic radiator valve systems. May save a lot of disruption if you get no joy from the developers.
Ok thanks. I’m going to see what they say, if not is it worth checking with NHBC? I also worry if I was to sell my house in a few years legally would I have to correct it?

Ok thanks. I’m going to see what they say, if not is it worth checking with NHBC? I also worry if I was to sell my house in a few years legally would I have to correct it?

You could try but I wouldn't hold your breath.

As for the future I wouldn't see it as an issue, it is what it is. But that is just my personal opinion.

Thanks for the reply. I have emailed them, awaiting a reply but just wanted to see what other options there were in case they said it’s after their 2 year warranty
The two year warranty will be in addtion to your legal rights. In particular, you should be able to sue successfully for breach of contract because the defect was hidden but present at the time they sold you the house. The limitation is period is between six and fifteen years depending on the details, which you should discuss with a legal advisor.

The problem with the NHBC warranty is that it is a warranty and people who underwrite warranties don't like paying out.

Fitting smart controls to the radiators is certainly a possible solution. WIthout investigating exactly what is needed to fix the plumbing, which may be very minor or quite significant, it's difficult to know which is the better solution.

first question are you combi or heat only plus cylinder. had this issue on new builds before although it may not be your problem. with two heating zones you are going to have 2 heating zone valves if combi or 3 zone valves if hw cylinder. if upstairs stat is controlling downstairs and vice versa should be a simple swap of two cables in wiring centre to get correct stat controlling correct zone valve.
read your post a little more, is your upstairs stat in the master bedroom as your post does contradict itself as to what controls what. first you say upstairs stat controls downstairs then you say it controls bedroom and ensuite
[automerge]1571179983[/automerge]
Hi, any help/advice would be much appreciated. I live in a new build house (well 5 years this year) I noticed about 2 years that when I turned the heating on with the downstairs thermostat the main bedroom and en-suite heating would come on. With the upstairs thermostat the downstairs heating would come on plus 2 back bedrooms and bathroom. I used to put both thermostats on so never noticed any earlier. I spoke to the builders on site to look and they basically told me it had been plumbed wrong so the options were to either take up the floors so it could be sorted or the less invasive option to re-wire the thermostats. As a result my downstairs thermostat controls all downstairs 2 bedrooms and bathroom. Upstairs only controls my bedroom and en-suite. So any advice would be grateful as I’d like all the bedrooms on at the same time for nighttime. Would it be worth investing in more thermostats to control the bedrooms from upstairs?
as long as the correct stat controls the correct zone this is the standard way with new builds. they dont zone upstairs and downstairs just one seperate room be it either the master bedroom or the lounge

Last edited:
first question are you combi or heat only plus cylinder. had this issue on new builds before although it may not be your problem. with two heating zones you are going to have 2 heating zone valves if combi or 3 zone valves if hw cylinder. if upstairs stat is controlling downstairs and vice versa should be a simple swap of two cables in wiring centre to get correct stat controlling correct zone valve.
read your post a little more, is your upstairs stat in the master bedroom as your post does contradict itself as to what controls what. first you say upstairs stat controls downstairs then you say it controls bedroom and ensuite
Originally the upstairs stat turned on downstairs and 2 back bedrooms and bathroom. Downstairs turned in master bedroom and en-suite. The electrician said he could switch I assume the wires so that downstairs controlled downstairs and vice versa (like it should). However that now just leaves the upstairs controlling only the ensuite and master bedroom. It’s a combi boiler. The thermostats are in the living room and master bedroom. I wanted to get it fixed so that the upstairs thermostat controls all upstairs heating as I assume that’s what it’s supposed to do
[automerge]1571180254[/automerge]
The two year warranty will be in addtion to your legal rights. In particular, you should be able to sue successfully for breach of contract because the defect was hidden but present at the time they sold you the house. The limitation is period is between six and fifteen years depending on the details, which you should discuss with a legal advisor.

The problem with the NHBC warranty is that it is a warranty and people who underwrite warranties don't like paying out.

Fitting smart controls to the radiators is certainly a possible solution. WIthout investigating exactly what is needed to fix the plumbing, which may be very minor or quite significant, it's difficult to know which is the better solution.
Thank you just wanted some reassurance that hopefully they can/will have to fix it for me fingers crossed!

Originally the upstairs stat turned on downstairs and 2 back bedrooms and bathroom. Downstairs turned in master bedroom and en-suite. The electrician said he could switch I assume the wires so that downstairs controlled downstairs and vice versa (like it should). However that now just leaves the upstairs controlling only the ensuite and master bedroom. It’s a combi boiler. The thermostats are in the living room and master bedroom. I wanted to get it fixed so that the upstairs thermostat controls all upstairs heating as I assume that’s what it’s supposed to do
[automerge]1571180254[/automerge]

Thank you just wanted some reassurance that hopefully they can/will have to fix it for me fingers crossed!
no thats the way all new builds are done they wont change it to zone upstairs and downstairs. all they have to do is have two zones to comply and this is their easy way round it plus having the upstairs stat in one bedroom is not going to give you control in other bedrooms. if you want that type of control you are going to have to invest. it wont be a problem on selling as thats the standard way of doing it wether you agree or not

Last edited:
From what you have said, there is nothing wrong with the installation provided by the builder. It may not be very logical or convenient, but it meets the the heat plus regulations.

If you want to zone each room - go for Honeywell Evohome ( cica £750) avoids any mechanical modification and you can take it with you when you move.

From what you have said, there is nothing wrong with the installation provided by the builder. It may not be very logical or convenient, but it meets the the heat plus regulations.

If you want to zone each room - go for Honeywell Evohome ( cica £750) avoids any mechanical modification and you can take it with you when you move.
Thank you for all the relplies. As long as I know it’s legal I think I’ll buy a system that will allow me to control each room, then take it with me if I move.

Reply to Central heating zones in the Plumbing Zone area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hi all Noticed bad smell in my drain out side put my hand down and it unclogged it for now however I checked my sewer drain and after flushing my toilet a good few times nothing is going to the sewer so don't know is there a blockage or what way it works many thanks and advice would be grateful
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Hi All I have a leak coming from within my Mira Elite QT shower. It seems to be flowing from behind the switching Control. Any ideas what could be causing this leak. Already Changed the Pump Elbow as one of the clips had popped which was causing a second small leak, Any idea? Is it time to buy...
Replies
Views
Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock