Search the forum,

Discuss Central heating pump sizing in the Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi
I have a valiant plus ecotec 418, ( about 8-9 years old ) it has always had the same problem, continually going from S.5.3 to S5.4 and back again....when ever I check, the Delta T while running normally is around 20oC and I am told S.5.3 doesn’t occur until the DT is 30oC. The boiler fires up very quick, but as the inlet temperature increases only slowly, I assume this is when the 30oC is reached.

it stays in the S.5.3 stage for around 10 minutes, goes to S5.4, then fires up, exceeds the DT then goes back to S.5.3..this cycle continues until eventually it settles down and stays at S.5.4......although even before that is achieved, it often fails to reduce firing, even when only 2oC away from the target temperature of 78oC and shuts down on over temperature.

Vaillant tell me it’s likely restricted or undersized pipe work, which could have been due to my ‘ not so very clever’ builder during my house extension in 2003. So if the boiler flow is less than it should be, that could explain why the boiler manages to achieve the outlet temperature so quickly ( I also reduced the KW to between 5-10KW from 18KW ) also if the flow is low, could that explain why the inlet temperature lags behind the outlet temperature so much ???

So would a higher capacity / flow CH pump be the solution ??? The igniter system on this boiler must be excellent, as it fires up so so many times every day, far more than I would consider normal.

thanks

Can you post some pictures

Is it a big system?
How many radiators?
Unvented hot water cylinder?
What size pipework?

As above a bit more info would help.
Boiler output.
System load.
Boiler pipe sizes.
Current pump specs.

10 radiators, vented cylinder, boiler is vailiant plus ecotec 418 (18KW )

not sure how to detail pipe sizes, assume they are standard, NOT microbore.....

hope images help 🤞

Attachments

• 90F41A95-06F9-4822-B8C5-794CD1E74B35.jpeg
    90F41A95-06F9-4822-B8C5-794CD1E74B35.jpeg
    518.9 KB · Views: 30
  • DA5DE531-2D75-4913-9239-0AB5741D003B.jpeg
    DA5DE531-2D75-4913-9239-0AB5741D003B.jpeg
    405.9 KB · Views: 21
  • B66E5CB0-2D46-45F4-8FE1-C10C3E005F90.jpeg
    B66E5CB0-2D46-45F4-8FE1-C10C3E005F90.jpeg
    377.2 KB · Views: 22
  • 4A4075BB-0248-43A3-B8E8-350F4DF14689.jpeg
    4A4075BB-0248-43A3-B8E8-350F4DF14689.jpeg
    414.5 KB · Views: 28
Thanks. Boiler primaries appear to be 22mm which is fine for that boiler output and flow required. The pump seems to be discontinued now, so I am struggling to find a data sheet with pump curves etc.
It does initially sound like a flow problem (lack of). Any idea what the quality of system water is like? Are you aware of any sludge buildup or other corrosion? Id imagine with a perfectly healthy system and pump that pump would be fine but again I cant find any info, so might be wrong.

Thanks. Boiler primaries appear to be 22mm which is fine for that boiler output and flow required. The pump seems to be discontinued now, so I am struggling to find a data sheet with pump curves etc.
It does initially sound like a flow problem (lack of). Any idea what the quality of system water is like? Are you aware of any sludge buildup or other corrosion? Id imagine with a perfectly healthy system and pump that pump would be fine but again I cant find any info, so might be wrong.
Heating system in good condition, recently drained down, flushed with cleaner and then treated....the water was pretty much clear, save a little discolouration from one or two rads....used to flush every year....& re treat, then was advised, unless leaks or excessive air, then every 5 years or so is ok

emailed WILO and received the data sheet within 10 minutes, how’s that for customer service 👍

Attachments

• C6843530-9E6F-4F73-B556-DE978518A586.png
    C6843530-9E6F-4F73-B556-DE978518A586.png
    464.4 KB · Views: 27
15-60 will be fine

but suspect the issue is your microbore pipe work

Installing a bigger pump is not the answer. I would be looking for this restriction you mention.

Installing a bigger pump is not the answer. I would be looking for this restriction you mention.
Don’t know how, obviously everything is under floorboards or in walls........I would love to tear up all the floorboards and demolish a few cavity walls and re pipe....but that’s out of the question, especially being a 24/7 carer for my disabled Wife, such disruption is not acceptable. I know it’s not ideal, but could a higher output pump resolve the problem ?

A higher output pump is going to cause more issues at the boiler. @ShaunCorbs what about CCT'S at the boiler?
What are CCTs ?

saw this chart for adjusting burner anti cycle time, can’t understand how the chart works....though that it was a simple matter of entering a value in minutes 🤯

Attachments

• B05A5DD7-A198-47E5-930E-1DD9EE7FED66.png
    B05A5DD7-A198-47E5-930E-1DD9EE7FED66.png
    92.7 KB · Views: 9
A higher output pump is going to cause more issues at the boiler. @ShaunCorbs what about CCT'S at the boiler?

I wouldn’t say you need a bigger pump it’s only going to cause more problems

What are CCTs ?

saw this chart for adjusting burner anti cycle time, can’t understand how the chart works....though that it was a simple matter of entering a value in minutes 🤯

close coupled tees allows you to fit a bigger pump

CCT's (close coupled tee's) as Shaun says will separate the system hydronically. This will allow another pump to be installed and different flow rates in each part of the system while maintaining the right flow through the boiler.
Can I assume if you're experiencing flow problems then some if not all radiators are struggling to heat while the boiler is running?

CCT's (close coupled tee's) as Shaun says will separate the system hydronically. This will allow another pump to be installed and different flow rates in each part of the system while maintaining the right flow through the boiler.
Can I assume if you're experiencing flow problems then some if not all radiators are struggling to heat while the boiler is running?
None of the radiators struggle to get hot.....they all struggle when the boiler is cycling 5.3 to 5.4.....once it settles down, everything is really hot.......found a pump on eBay where the wattage is 93W on high compared to 65W on my present one, does that imply it’s more powerful or just uses more power to do the same thing ? don’t want to modify the system.......I assume the 30oC Delta T setting can’t be changed, also not sure why it’s there, efficiency or boiler protection thanks

Attachments

• 35480312-EE88-44E8-B627-27814FD7D540.jpeg
    35480312-EE88-44E8-B627-27814FD7D540.jpeg
    52.5 KB · Views: 7
That wattage will be its power consumption, which obviously increases with a more powerful pump and the higher the setting. With 22mm primaries and a larger pump I imagine more problems with boiler delta t.

Have you tried balancing the system should be around a 10 dc drop on the rad flow and returns ?

None of the radiators struggle to get hot..they all struggle when the boiler is cycling 5.3 to 5.4..once it settles down, everything is really hot....found a pump on eBay where the wattage is 93W on high compared to 65W on my present one, does that imply it’s more powerful or just uses more power to do the same thing ? don’t want to modify the system....I assume the 30oC Delta T setting can’t be changed, also not sure why it’s there, efficiency or boiler protection thanks

You might consider a A rated pump which displays the power in watts from which you can easily deduce the flow rate and pump head and at least you can rule this in or out then, as suggested above a 6M pump should be quite adequate, I have 10 rads and a 20 kw OF boiler and the pump (6M wilo yonos Pico) power gives a flow rate of 12 LPM @ 3.2M head which is quite accurate as the boiler deltaT is ~ 25C., this pump only cost me ~ £100 two years ago.

That wattage will be its power consumption, which obviously increases with a more powerful pump and the higher the setting. With 22mm primaries and a larger pump I imagine more problems with boiler delta t.
Hi
to my way of thinking, a more powerful pump = higher flow rate, the heat dissipation from the rads would not increase as It’s down to Delta T Rad Vs Room temperature, therefore the return temperature would be higher, the boiler has no issue heating, so does this make sense ? Higher flow rate = increased inlet temperature therefore boiler Delta T would fall.....

Also is wattage such an accurate way to determine flow ? As these pumps are centrifugal, power would not exactly relate to flow, as with a reciprocating positive displacement pump ?

Have you tried balancing the system should be around a 10 dc drop on the rad flow and returns ?
Hello have TRVs fitted to all rads except the top landing Hall and lounge ( 4 rads ) needs these fully on, works well....don’t think balancing is appropriate.....the rad flow return Delta T, is that the same as across the boiler, effectively, when on heating only ?

Hello have TRVs fitted to all rads except the top landing Hall and lounge ( 4 rads ) needs these fully on, works well....don’t think balancing is appropriate.***.the rad flow return Delta T, is that the same as across the boiler, effectively, when on heating only ?

you should be getting around 15dc split / delta across the flow and return at the boiler

eg

flow 65
Return 50

what about when it’s playing up ?
Difficult to tell, as the temperature falls quickly when the boiler trips, but must be greater than D30oC according to valiant....when it moves from 5.4 to 5.3 hold state, it’s typically around 15-20oC DT but the outlet temperature is only around 60oC on low fire, while it’s on ‘hold’ in its 5.3 state.....would like to know if the 30C DT is for boiler protection or efficiency, can’t seem to find this out, or if the value can be changed..... altered D02 to 10 minutes from 20 minutes to stop it staying in 5.3 so long.....

I actually thought this posted ages ago but obviously not. Your thinking is correct yes. By increasing the flow rates you will shrink the DT, which is your problem by the sounds of it. But installing a larger pump will increase running costs, cause other problems and may not even help. If there's a restriction somewhere in the system then that is affectively governing the flow through the system and boiler.
They are centrifugal pumps yes. I think John's suggestion above was to determine the pump head and flow by cross checking the wattage.
I will leave you in Shauns capable hands as I'm an oil man by trade and im not familiar with the ins and outs of specific gas boilers.

Its quite simple really!, a 18 kw boiler will require a flow rate of 12.9 LPM to maintain a deltaT of 20C at max output and assuming a min output of 5 kw, 3.6 LPM to maintain the same deltaT of 20C.
But what must be remembered is that where TRVs are installed its they that determine the deltaT across the rads and boiler and not you. If you had all rads fitted with TRVs and assume that the rads emit say 15 kw at a delta t of 15C, and start throttling in when the heating demand falls to 11 kw, the flow/return then will be 75/45C with a deltaT of 30C, boiler trips. I know some of the above rads are full open but just maybe the TRV rads are throttling enough that when mixed with the higher return temps still (sometimes, in mild weather) give a deltaT of 30c across the boiler. Maybe a ABV should be installed.

Last edited:
Its quite simple really!, a 18 kw boiler will require a flow rate of 12.9 LPM to maintain a deltaT of 20C at max output and assuming a min output of 5 kw, 3.6 LPM to maintain the same deltaT of 20C.
But what must be remembered is that where TRVs are installed its they that determine the deltaT across the rads and boiler and not you. If you had all rads fitted with TRVs and assume that the rads emit say 15 kw at a delta t of 15C, and start throttling in when the heating demand falls to 11 kw, the flow/return then will be 75/45C with a deltaT of 30C, boiler trips. I know some of the above rads are full open but just maybe the TRV rads are throttling enough that when mixed with the higher return temps still (sometimes, in mild weather) give a deltaT of 30c across the boiler. Maybe a ABV should be installed.
However, as the radiators are Not connected in series, if TRVs close then the water would simply bypass those radiators and return to the boiler hotter.....if all rads were closed, the Delta T across the boiler would simply be due to pipework heat losses....it’s been agreed that a higher flow pump would assist with the Delta T across the boiler, by returning the water quicker ( hotter ) to the boiler, but what are the negative sides of this ? Apart from pump energy consumption ?thanks

The radiators should not be connected in series anywhere. If this is a 2 pipe system, once the TRV's close, water will cease to flow through that particular rad (or be reduced obviously). Water will only bypass rads in order to supply others further on in that circuit but it won't return to the boiler unless there is an open part of the circuit or bypass for it to flow through. i.e if they all close as John G is saying, there is no flow.
If this is a one pipe system, then there will always be a flow through the pipe work and that would work as you are describing.

Having skim read through this, it sounds to me like a restriction in flow on a 2 pipe. I would check the pump over to ensure it is working correctly to rule it out but as this has always worked the same way from new, I think you should be looking more at a restriction.

Are all your lock shields open?
Is the pipework off the top of the boiler vented properly? (no possibility of air lock in flow or return).
Are the pump valves fully open and clear?
Once the obvious has been ruled out, look for partial blockages.

Hope this helps.
Might have missed it but is this sealed or open vented?

More water will pass through the non throttled radiators thus reducing their deltaTs. (if this is what you mean?) and by installing a more powerful pump will reduce it still further??, you would have to double the pump head to increase the flow by 40% through the non throttled rads, this will decrease the detaT by ~ 4/5C. Maybe prudent to invest in a thermal gun and take a few temperature before proceeding. you might consider reducing the boiler temperature temporarily to say 60/65C, the TRVs will then open further with a reduced deltaT but probably a higher return temperature.
Is there a automatic or manual by pass installed anywhere if the boiler has pump overrun?

Will try reducing the boiler outlet temperature and see what happens, maybe if the boiler runs stable more often, will compensate for the reduced radiator temperature there is no bypass, but has a boiler over run

Modern self regulating pumps should modulate down as TRVs close but may not keep up the minimum flow required for the boiler. Two ways: (1) fit an auto bypass valve to the heating to keep minimum flow through the boiler or (2) fit a separate pump for the heating and hydraulically separate the boiler with a low loss header (more expensive and usually done on larger systems).

Reply to Central heating pump sizing in the Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock