Search the forum,

Discuss Central heating pipework in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Just moved in, and lifted the floor to repair a damaged radiator pipe. The system was originally a gravity fed/ immersion tank as the pipework goes to that corner of the room an back again. There is an extra pipe which goes between the flow and return side of the pipework. The boiler is Viessmann vitodens 050 combi boiler. I asked viessmann whether the boiler had a bypass valve but it doesn’t. My question is whether the extra pipe was a mistake or intentional, the bathroom rad doesn’t have a TRV. Can I cut out this pipe?
Thanks
Peter

They have probably linked the flow and return that used to feed the cylinder I would leave it as you may stop the system working

Sounds like the extra pipe is a bypass - as there is not one built into the boiler. Unlikely to have been installed by mistake - but anything is possible!

Thanks tor the reply.
My first thought was to take the pipe out, but on reflection I’m going to leave it as it is. The radiators get hot, so it’s all working, and the bypass pipe is a safety measure if the bathroom radiator is turned off.
They have probably linked the flow and return that used to feed the cylinder I would leave it as you may stop the system worki

Reply to Central heating pipework in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I have been facing central heating low pressure on unvented hot water RM Cylinders but can't see any leak on the PRV, expansion vessels and plasterboard celling. I have got unvented pressurized RM Cylinders hot water system with 27KW Worchester gas boiler with expansion vessels . When...
Replies
Views
losing pressure
L
Good afternoon, I am experiencing a pressure issue with my heating system and was hoping to receive additional insight as to what the problem could be. We have a biomass boiler and stratification tank set up and recently had an issue with boiler pressure dropping off when the system was cold...
Replies
Views
Our house was built in 2007 and we are the second family to live here - moving in in 2017. The central heating has been working fine - although the gas boiler is perhaps nearing the end of its life. But the boiler is not our current issue. Last winter two of the radiators did not heat up and...
Replies
Views
I am trying to workout in what order my radiators heat up in order to then balance them. I am able to figure out which radiator pipe is the flow/return on each radiator so that I can then grab the right pipe to check which heats up first. There has been an extension done on this house at some...
Replies
Views
Context for issue: Last winter the temperature switch on my boiler shorted somehow, the boiler was then running WAY too hot and ended up blowing/melting a hole in one of the pipes. I repaired this by putting in a new stretch of pipe in and just connecting it to the existing pipes with two...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock