Search the forum,

Discuss Central Heating pipe vibrating when boiler stops in the DIY Plumbing Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Hello,

Wonder if anyone can point me in the right direction, one of my central heating pipes (think its the length from the boiler to the first radiator) is vibrating when the boiler switches off. I recently had new radiators fitted and the vibration stopped for about a month but seems to be back now, the pipe vibrated before this. I've tried the basics (bleeding the radiator and making sure the TRV was on the right way), wonder if anyone else has any other ideas? I dont think the pipe is vibrating against a joist as the vibration only seems to occur when the boiler switches off,
Thanks

What's the pump doing while the 'vibration' is happening? Can you describe the 'vibration' in a bit more detail, please? E.g. is it humming like a fridge, knocking a few times a second, slowing down over a period of time, etc. Spare no details. If you are able to make and post an audio recording that would help too.

The vibration seems to only happen when the boiler is in the process of switching off with the pump shutting down, it's generally a series of rapid ticking noises which slows down until it stops. It's coming from the ceiling space approximately 4m away from the boiler, I'll try and get an audio recording cheers

it's generally a series of rapid ticking noises which slows down until it stops. It's coming from the ceiling space approximately 4m away from the boiler,
That's the noise of a contracting length of pipe dragging over something. (It's called "slip-stick".)

Usual cure is to wrap the pipe with some hemp lagging at points it needs to slide.

Reply to Central Heating pipe vibrating when boiler stops in the DIY Plumbing Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I have a problem with noise and vibrations from my shower when i first turn it on. The problem lasts for about 30 seconds after the shower is switched on before it stops. There is a sink nearby, sometimes if we switch that on slowly before turning on the shower then the shower doesn't make a...
Replies
Views
Hi Everyone, Thanks in advance for your advice... As the title mentions, my issue is with the water pipes of the house causing the floor to vibrate. I have singled out the issue to the joists that the floorboards sit on carrying the vibrations throughout the house. We do not have hot water...
Replies
Views
Good afternoon, I am experiencing a pressure issue with my heating system and was hoping to receive additional insight as to what the problem could be. We have a biomass boiler and stratification tank set up and recently had an issue with boiler pressure dropping off when the system was cold...
Replies
Views
Hi, Sorry if question already answered in previous posts, but I can't find a solution to the below: We recently moved house to a new home that has previously been extended. In one of the bedrooms that has been extended there are 2 radiators, one which looks like it was fitted when the...
Replies
Views
My towel rail is not electric but separate to central heating and has been working consistently but since the 2 port valve was replaced on Monday because the radiators were not working it has stopped working, if I go into the loft and press the flame button on and off it seems to come back to...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock