Search the forum,

Discuss Central Heating - Pipe Sizing? in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

D

Deleted member 116030

A couple of years ago I had a new central heating system installed as part of a full modernisation. Unfortunately I’ve been having problems with other aspects of the renovation so for a while I’ve been running it without a control system or TRV’s (I have a Honeywell EvoHome set ready to go but didn’t want these damaged by other work going on). Another reason is that I don’t have downstairs doors fitted yet so wouldn’t get the benefit of that extra control..

Now that I’m nearing completion, I would just like a bit of a sanity check on the plumber’s workmanship before I start fitting the control system and carpets etc.. I’m a bit concerned that some radiators feel cold lower down, I’m more accustomed to them being cold at the top if they need bled. Here are the specs;

• BAXI 28kW Combi boiler feeding 7 radiators in 3 bed terrace house with 2 receptions.
  • Boiler located in kitchen.
  • 10mm O/D speedfit pipes to all radiators
  • I believe these all branch off 12 or 15mm speedfit pipe from the boiler (would need to lift boards to check).

Basically, I’m a bit concerned that the 10mm O/D pipe is too small and causing the cold spots lower down the radiators? Although this seems to be more of a problem downstairs than up? And could it be that they just need to be balanced properly and all will be well once TRV’s fitted?

Appreciate input from any experienced plumbers/heating engineers out there, also are there any relevant British Standards for selection of pipe sizing for heating systems you could point me to?

Thanks

Steve

It would depend on the size of the radiator, length of pipe and number of elbows etc.
Are you leaving the heating on long enough for it to fully heat

I would 22 or 28 from boiler, depending on size of boiler. 2 zones for heating in 22. 22 distribution dropping to 15 to run upto 2 radiators.

Reply to Central Heating - Pipe Sizing? in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Every two weeks or so I have to go and top up the system because the hot taps are running cold. Boiler display is flashing 0.6 bar and I fill up to 1.3. I've had an engineer look inside the boiler and he can't see anything wrong. I've checked the pipes all over the house and cannot see any...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone, Looking for a bit of advice, recently went to a job where heating was operating when called for however not for the hot water. I have changed the 3 port actuator Honeywell head however this doesn’t seem to have solved the issue, does this mean that the programmer is faulty? Or is...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
I have had a look at previous posts and think I know the answer to this but just before I make it worse could I just check what you think about this one. Granddaughter just moved house and this valve decided to leak when it was closed. When open its fine. Normally I have repacked the gland on...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock