Search the forum,

Discuss Central heating increasing water usage? Help/advice needed please in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

M

martinpaullynch

Hi All,

I wonder if anyone can help?

I currently live in rented accommodation and am on a water meter. I have been reviewing my bills over the last 12 months and have noticed that there is a huge difference between the winter and summer months. On further investigation over the last couple of days, it seems that whenever I have my central heating on, it massively increases the water usage.

To give you an idea, from November 2013 to April 2014, I used 72 cubic metres which is ridiculous for a 1 bedroom flat occupied by 1 person. From April 2014 to September 2014 I have used 14 cubic metres.

I did a test last night where I took my reading before I put the central heating on for roughly an hour, and then checked the next morning - it had gone up by .25 of a unit which is usually how much i user over 4 or 5 days.

I have a combi-boiler, not sure on make and model off the top of my head, but am wondering if anyone can offer any thoughts on what might be happening?

Thanks,

Martin

Colder mcw entering the property meaning it will take longer to get up to temperature. but that wont take that much longer so I wouldnt of thought it would increase the usage by much. Take longer in the shower on colder days or have more baths?

I cant see using the heating is going to use cold water unless you are having to top up the pressure on your boiler on a regular basis.

Martin,

72 m/3 in 6 months = 75 x 11 = 825 kw x 4.5 p = £33.00 = £1.37 per week, now have I got my maths wrong, to be frank
I really don't understand what your problems is, unless I am missing something. Maybe you should tell use how much you are paying
so we can make a judgement instead of guessing.

you say

" it seems that whenever I have my central heating on, it massively increases the water usage."

how does that work?

someone that will go take a look and charge him for saying theres nought wrong, then he will sleep better :)

or as I have found a couple of times, the last numpty plumber has found a duff expn vessel and just left the filling loop cracked open. so summer months the sytem works ok, system blows off occassionally on water heating, come the winter, the heatings on a lot so the pressure constantly blowing off and water water everywhere, but coz the tenants not seen any leaks as the warning pipe is on a roof they havent noticed the issue. Its only when you go and look at the pressure gauge shooting up and down that you spot the problem.

So to the 2 smart asses out there, sometimes a visit will spot the problem and the custard isnt mad.

Reply to Central heating increasing water usage? Help/advice needed please in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock